PDA

View Full Version : V-Ray VS AR?

kromekat
09-12-2007, 09:15 AM
I think it might be useful for many (myself included) for somebody to clarify the major differences that might make VRay more attractive, better specced etc. over Advanced Render? - what are the true advantages?

Cheers
Adam

Robert Glotzbach
09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
I donít own AR, but I will own VrayForC4d soon I hope.
But playing with cinemas demo I started to like the SPD feature in AR a lot.
The way I understand it, is that Vray doesnít have such feature or something a like (hope Iím wrong here though).

Regards, Robert

Srek
09-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Do we realy need a third thread on this theme?
I know the starting question is different to the existing threads, but since currently only betatesters have access to V-Ray for CINEMA 4D i can't see much new information comming in on this.
Maybe we should postpone the issue until a few weeks after release of V-Ray for CINEMA 4D so there is some more realworld information on this?
Cheers
BjŲrn

lllab
09-12-2007, 10:20 AM
also there is so "versus", AR and VRAY are good friends;-)

AR is great in most things
VRAY is one of the best engines too,
in VRAYforC4D we use both of best worlds- material-shader system from AR and lightquality & speed from Vray.

cheers
Stefan

kromekat
09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
There is no other version of this topic Srek. :)

V-Ray has existed for a long time, and yes there will be a C4D version very soon, but the renderer is established already - I simply want to know what the avantages are with VRay.

Stefan you mention light quality - so is the GI engine more advanced?

As for speed - AR is superbly fast, so am I to assume that I will get the same or better results with VRay in the same or faster time?

Will caustics be more of a reality to use in VRay?

Just trying to get a better picture of what benefits we can expect with VRay in reality, as I have seen some nice images over the years, but I have no clear idea of why or how the renderer might help more than the AR module!

Indulge me! ;)

Adam

ThirdEye
09-12-2007, 10:56 AM
There is no other version of this topic Srek.

If you make a search this topic has been debated tons of times in the past, especially when it comes to GI and blurry effects.

kromekat
09-12-2007, 11:13 AM
If you make a search this topic has been debated tons of times in the past, especially when it comes to GI and blurry effects.

Right... so what is your opinion?

Adam

ThirdEye
09-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Right... so what is your opinion?

To make it short: Vray is better at irradiance, it has more GI engines, it renders faster blurry effects, it's got a better motion blur and it's better at caustics. Probably it's even got a physical sky which we don't have yet and it's got tons of AA filters and AA methods. It also works in buckets which means you can render stills over a network, unlike C4D.

lllab
09-12-2007, 11:42 AM
to make it short:

the good in Ar are the nice shaders, easy of use and 100% integration

the good in vray for c4d is it is faster, gi more advanced and much faster, micropolydisplacment faster, physical sky, materials, use of AR shaders, physical cameras, better AA, etc.

the good in vrayforc4d, it feels very much as AR and uses its shader system within its material.

both are cool engines, technically vray is more modern, the chaosgroup people do nothing else than researching and programming renderengines, ....

cheers
stefan

kromekat
09-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys that helps a lot! - just wanted a lowdown on the differences - my order is already in anyway ;)

Adam

Martin Kay
10-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys that helps a lot! - just wanted a lowdown on the differences - my order is already in anyway ;)

Adam

By now vRay for C4d has been released and I may get it.. I tried to d/l the manual from the site but the link doesn't seem to do anything. So, my question is- what's the manual like? Does it explain things well? I'm looking at the vRay forum and it seems that many questions are being asked. Is this because users aren't reading the manual or because the manual is somewhat opaque. I'm collecting all the resources I can on vRay from various sources.

Martin K

nycL45
10-21-2007, 12:22 PM
The manual is in beta but very useful and readable, especially for me a "tweener" with 3D cg. The VrayForC4D (VfC) team is working on the next version of the manual and based on the great job they have done thus far, I expect that they will produce a quality manual. There are a lot of available resources, e.g., ChaosGroup and third party docs and tutorials, a growing materials library, etc. for VfC with links provided in the forum. Best of all is the support spirit, which started with the proactive VfC dev team spirit, that includes several knowlegeable people addressing questions and providing links to further information, scenes with setups, materials and so on.

So, in brief, that is what goes with the classy Vray renderer.

Martin Kay
10-21-2007, 02:36 PM
The manual is in beta but very useful and readable, especially for me a "tweener" with 3D cg. The VrayForC4D (VfC) team is working on the next version of the manual and based on the great job they have done thus far, I expect that they will produce a quality manual. There are a lot of available resources, e.g., ChaosGroup and third party docs and tutorials, a growing materials library, etc. for VfC with links provided in the forum. Best of all is the support spirit, which started with the proactive VfC dev team spirit, that includes several knowlegeable people addressing questions and providing links to further information, scenes with setups, materials and so on.

So, in brief, that is what goes with the classy Vray renderer.

Thanks for the reply!

Martin K

nycL45
10-21-2007, 03:08 PM
You are welcome.

Leonard

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2007, 03:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.