PDA

View Full Version : Colour picker options

dangermouse
09-12-2007, 06:53 AM
I'm sure this is a pain for everyone, and you're probably groaning already, but the colour picker infuriates me, and I'm looking for options.

What I'd like to be able to do is just have a nice simple colour wheel always visible that I can grab colours from, and that tiny photoshop colour stripe is awful.

My current workaround is to have a screen grab of the painter colour wheel open and alt+click colours from it, but is an "always on top" colour wheel in photoshop itself too much to ask? Mostly is quick rubbish sketches, so current canvas colour grabs don't really apply.

I'm using CS3 and I'm surprised there still isn't a solution, unless I'm missing one? Does anyone know of a plugin or some other workaround? My Googles give me nothing useful.

Failing this I may just accept my fate. Or switch apps altogether. But I've been using photoshop for years, don't want to get used to something new if I don't have to. *Annoyed

Thanks guys

oddjob101
09-12-2007, 01:26 PM
There are options out there but not many.

Check this out for Win: http://www.master-colors.com/products2.php

If you are on a Mac you can easily change it to the standard color wheel.

jimmy-paillet
09-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi...
i'm in the process of programming such a thing....

my objectives were a stand alone app (as a permanent color picker like the one of Painter is impossible in photoshop) :

-stays always on top
-can choose between Ps-like color picker (rectangle) and Painter-like color picker (wheel)
-fully resizeable...
-open to other ideas... :D

i'm starting on it...buit i dont think it will that long...

cheers

womanonfire
09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
glad i'm not the only one who hates that dinky color picker! cant believe they don't put in some other options!
i usually make a "pallette" on another small document but it would be nice to have it always available on top of everything.

BlueFlare
09-29-2007, 07:35 AM
There are options out there but not many.

Check this out for Win: http://www.master-colors.com/products2.php

If you are on a Mac you can easily change it to the standard color wheel.

That doesn't solve anything, it's just a different color picker that still doesn't stay in front.

nSomnius
09-29-2007, 09:48 AM
One solution you might just learn to like between now and the day Adobe address this is to use pkcolorpicker 3 (http://www.pkworld.de/index_pkworld.htm) . I simply close the color window and place pk in it's stead. It will stay on top and look right at home, nicely proportioned by default, but resizeable as well. I know you want a wheel, sorry... but the selection area is larger as you wish. It has a large feature set, be sure to read through the help file to get familiar, it's really quite an elegant tool. I suggest v3, v4 is still in alpha. With the eyedropper tool active simply click on image and hold, drag over to chosen color and let go. Streamlined, not exactly, effective, more than trying to nail a color on a tiny patch. It does bear a resemblence to PS's foreground/background color picker window except it's non modal, ready when you are. The price is right too : )

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2007, 09:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.