PDA

View Full Version : Finding and Replacing Missing Textures

paulselhi
09-12-2007, 01:53 AM
It happens to all of us, we hit render and then get a warning that xyz texture file cannot be found, It is a basic info warning telling us the missing textures but not doing a lot to help.

I always used to dread the trawl through the mats finding where the textures were missing untill i discovered that there is a very good fix built in to cinema 4d, it had been hiding away for ages..laughing at me.

If you look at the Selection/Structure Info, you can get there from the windows menu, but i add a button to me left menu bar, you will find in the selection structure dialog a tab called textures. Here you can list all textures in a scene, find missing one and joy of joy replace all paths to all instances of missing textures in one go.

it really is a hidden gem

mrmoose
09-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks! It's really an useful tip :thumbsup:

bandini
09-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Nice!

I was wondering if there was a way to do that.

Now, if there was a tool for batch replacing texture paths built into that, we'd be in business!

paulselhi
09-13-2007, 06:41 PM
well it does that, just choose a path for the missing texture and all instances are corrected and then save the scene

bandini
09-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Yes, but I'm talking about replacing paths for all textures.

We don't keep our textures in a tex directory, like Cinema expects.

When bringing a project from one job folder to another, it would be nice to be able to globally replace all texture paths with the new root directory.

govinda
09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
That's the same as Attributes Manager>Mode>Info Manager. It's truly a great addition in v10.

Adam, how about either setting up a texture path (or three) in Preferences, or putting your C4D scene file where your textures live and then doing a 'Save Project' out of that directory. Knowing how advanced you guys' texture and asset management system must be, I imagine these are too simple, but with multiple texture paths available maybe you can get something.

bandini
09-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks, Govinda.

Unfortunately, neither one of those are options for our directory setup. Without getting into too much detail, our network renderer is custom built (so we're not using Cinema Net), and we require having maps in very specific directories, rather than a generic "tex" folder. Setting local map paths in the preferences won't work because it won't translate to our net apps.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to write a little script to redirect map paths, and I may take a crack at it after I wrap up some other projects.

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2007, 03:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.