PDA

View Full Version : Flag - How to Deform in the Y axis

BUZZFX
09-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I subdivided the flag enough to deform it in the X and Z and I am using a wind deformer to bend the flag.

How do I make the top and bottom of the flag drop and bend and curl or do I have to do this manually? I tried clothilde but it didn't add anything. I just want to have the flag drop a bit and not look so flat on the top and bottom.

Any help is appreciated.

tcastudios
09-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Use several Flagdeformers at different angles and settings.

Cheers
Lennart

BUZZFX
09-11-2007, 06:40 PM
I tried that, but maybe I just gave up too soon. So are you saying to rotate the flag deformer too? Can I do that?

BUZZFX
09-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I just added another Wind Deformer like you said. And it looks a lot better from the side, but notice how the top and bottom are still very flat. Is there a way to get the top and bottom of the flag to deform vertically?

BUZZFX
09-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Lennart thanks for your help!

I Just figured it out using a Formula, Much improved from my first effort.

I still can't figure out how to have the whole flag stay grounded to the pole and have the right side of the flag drop a little so it looks more natural.

Anyone done that before?

Meteoro
09-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Well if you have clothilde that is the way to go imho.

I have attached a c4d file with an example of clothilde simulating a flag.

I recommend you to sim the animation caching it to be able to see it in real time after.

BUZZFX
09-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Sebastian,

Thanks for this. I am using C4D R9.1 with Clothilde or C4D R10 with no clothilde. I opened up your file in R10 but unfortunately I cannot edit it as I only have C4D r10 Core. (no clothilde) Can you save R10 files as R9? Not sure.

I see you didn't use any wind deformers in this only clothilde, but you example looks more convincing than mine. Is it still possible to achieve realistic results using Wind Deformers if I don't have Clothilde?

Could you please tell me how you pinned the flag to the pole? Can I pin the flag to the pole if I don't have Clothilde?

Thanks

Meteoro
09-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Can you save R10 files as R9? Not sure.

As far As I know I can't. sorry.

I see you didn't use any wind deformers in this only clothilde, but you example looks more convincing than mine

Well, in r10 there is a forces tab in clothilde properties that you can use to add wind. I'm not sure about r 9.1

Could you please tell me how you pinned the flag to the pole? Can I pin the flag to the pole if I don't have Clothilde?

You select the point you want fixed and in clothilde properties in dresser tab you use the "fixed points set" button.

BUZZFX
09-14-2007, 08:51 PM
You select the point you want fixed and in clothilde properties in dresser tab you use the "fixed points set" button.

Meteoro,

Thanks for the reply! :)

Does anyone know if there are any other ways I can pin the corner of my flag to the pole if I can't use clothilde?

There must be a "stick" tag or something that will do this isn't there?

Per-Anders
09-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Use a vertexmap then use a restriction tag on your deformers with that weightmap in there, reduce the weight on the points you want your deformers to move less.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2007, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.