PDA

View Full Version : Set Driven Key not working right...

YankyBJeans
04-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Okay so I am following the digital-tutors.com tutorials on rigging the neex character and I am trying to use my reverse foot rig with sdkeys. I have the foot rig setup correctly (can insert screen grabs if necessary) and I am trying to use my custom added attribute of "foot roll" with the rig through the use of a foot shaped curve. Basically you can roll the roll attribute on the foot curve and it then rolls the foot into an accurate step stage. however, when I set my key for the foot to be back on only the heel (as if you are about to step down) instead of the bones being in line with the rest of the skeleton like they should be, they turn to one side. so in effect as i mmdrag the roll attribute after setting my key, the foot goes from flat on the ground at 0 roll, moves off to the side at -2.5, then lands where i want it (toes in the air, heel on the ground still) on -5. instead of moving from flat to up, it moves from flat to up in a semicircle arc to the side. any ideas? be simple in explanation if you know what ive done wrong since this is new ground for me.

Yanky

YankyBJeans
04-03-2003, 09:04 PM
felt the need to add a pic anyways after rereading my post. the red line is one i added to show approx where the bone should be. you can see that it is off to the side(its about halfway between resting flat and up in the air with the heel on the ground). on the bottom and top it lines up but on the way it goes sideways. i also have to key all 3 rotation axis' even though the tutorial says i only need to key the one it actually rotates on. go figure. any help is appreciated.

yanky

dmcgrath
04-04-2003, 01:33 AM
I suggest you just try to make it again. I can't really tell what is going on in the picture that you provided, but you have something funky happening in a rotation, obviously. And most times just rebuilding it would be faster than troubleshooting it.

Heres another foot rool tut for you. I really like the way its explained for you and it works exactly the same as the Neex one.

http://www.jawa9000.com/technical/foot-roll/foot-roll.htm

YankyBJeans
04-05-2003, 06:22 PM
thanks a lot for the link dcmgrath! I did again try the same method that I have been using 3 more times. 2 times it didnt work even with me fiddling with my local rotational axis. something must have gotten screwed up without me know it...that or the maya demons are after me. I did finally get it working though so who knows what the hell i did wrong the first 3 times.

Yanky

dmcgrath
04-05-2003, 11:52 PM
What is the old expression, "Fourth time is the charm"? If not maybe now. I think it took me a few tries to get all stuff set up right. It's really not as easy as it looks. It's all about attention to detail.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.