PDA

View Full Version : how to really snap points to curve

illusory
09-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Hi,

How do I snap the points of polygons-in-the-making to existing curves?

I press n to make new polys, and i have tried many reasonable-sounding options under the snap options in Transform. I can only get the snapping to occur according to the camera view i'm in, whether activating snap to sements or to points.

The pics below show the problem. They are from two different 3D camera views.

thanks for any assistance,
NJ

McNistor
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
if you grab your point from exactly the center of the gizmo it will snap exactly where you want. it must show all three xyz axes in the center, not only xy, xz, yz. be sure that in the transform pannel all axes are activated.

illusory
09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I guess I wasn't clear, there is no gizmo involved. This is about snapping to curves as i draw polygons (with 'n' key chosen). The book "The Art of XSI" describes this as a technique. First, drawing linear curves to define contours. Then, activating the curve icon and 'on' in the snapping commands. Then press 'n' and draw polys, which will snap to the points of the curves you drew.

The problem is that it doesn't work. They probably left something out, or were innaccurate in some way. There's a lot of that in this book. Plus the book's not for XSI 6.02.

So, I'm hoping someone will know what the actual technique is for drawing polys that snap to points on existing curves. Would be a useful thing, i can see that.

thanks for replying,
NJ

kiwi3d
09-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Under the snap tab on the right of the screen, select on, the point icon and the curve icon, works fine.

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2007, 10:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.