PDA

View Full Version : Starving for comments

pdaley
04-03-2003, 03:14 PM
I've been working on some character animation with lip sync using an old 10 second club clip that I would appreciate some comments on.

PLAY (http://www.3d-anim8or.com/movieplay.asp?moviename=Roxyshow&width=320&height=256)

daft
04-03-2003, 04:29 PM
The rendering looks quite nice. But the animation looks very mechaical like itīs now. Just watch it a few times and drag the timeslider on the quicktime movie. It looks better going faster. I donīt mean that the whole movie needs to be speed up. The animation needs to be balanced more when going from pose to pose.
Other thing: When the head turns to the side the body doesnīt seem to follow. And I donīt thing that a head will ever turn right along the axis like that. It should tilt and drop a little(kind of a 8 shape movementīs)

It always helpīs to act the mostion infront of a mirror.

Wegg
04-03-2003, 05:15 PM
I think you have to hold your poses a lot more. Right now you have good keyframes but they just move from one to the next in a very mechanical way. When you watch really good character animation, its surprising how LITTLE the chraracters move. They just go into pisotion. . . hold. . . go to the next, hold etc.

Its something I'm trying to learn myself actually. . .

My Fault
04-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Yeah, very mechanical right now and also over acted. Too much movement, especially at the end where she seems to punctuate every word with her arms and hands. You want to draw the viewer in, but if the character is always moving it makes it harder to care what she will do next.

Like Wegg said, hold poses a little longer and make the shifts from pose to pose less linear. Also move parts of the body at slightly different tempos. Right now she just goes from pose to pose. Try having her begin to turn and when she is say a quarter way through her turn, then move her arms. Very rarely do people move everything at once. For instance when I look out my window, my head will start to lift and then my shoulders may move and so on.

Look forward to seeing your next draft on this! :thumbsup:

pdaley
04-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys for the great comments! I've also gotten a couple from the ML, so now I have something to work on over the weekend. I'll take a look at Comet's page and go over Kieth Lango's tut as well and hopefully post a new draft soon.

Anyone else that has something to offer, please add in! Comments are welcome!

Goon
04-04-2003, 02:41 AM
The arms seem to generate many of the problems.

For one, they are keyframed on the same frame as the rest of the body. This means that the entire figure stops and starts at the same time making it seem very mechanical.

Secondly the gestures seem a bit strange at times: why before the light is even on is she covering one eye?
Does she cover her ears because of the noise?
Why after this is her right arm wandering about aimlessly before settling back into the same pose?
Then just before she jumps for joy she holds her arm horizontal, brings her head down, holds, then leaps up. This comes off as strange. A stronger pose could be used for this hold, say a more fetal position to make the contrast/explosion of joy more impactful.

My opinions only. Judge their validity for yourself.

pdaley
04-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Here's another take. Please tell me if you think I'm on the right track, need to push something even further, or pull something back some.

Play me (http://www.3d-anim8or.com/movieplay.asp?moviename=Roxyshow&width=320&height=256):)

Wegg
04-08-2003, 05:14 PM
She kind of looks like one of those indonesian dancers.

I don't think the problem is anything specific your doing wrong. . . I just don't think you have thought out what you want her to do.

Borrow someone's video camera and act it out yourself.

There is so much you could do with that sound file. "Here goes. . . " tentative scared reach over to the button. . . "WOW!" jumping back in shock etc. etc.

I know you have it in you to make this a slick animation. Its just not there yet and I think you may need to go back to 0 and watch yourself or someone act out what you want before animating.

pdaley
04-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Go!!! (http://www.3d-anim8or.com/movieplay.asp?moviename=RoxyTurnaround&width=320&height=256)

Click on that and go check out my latest trial with Roxy. This time it's just a walk cycle, but I thought it necessary to go back a step and establish something very basic about this character: her walk-cycle.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions on how to improve it.

My Fault
04-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Looking great so far.

Right now her upper body doesn't seem to be doing much, really noticeable on the arms and hands. Get a little bend and secondary motion on those and it will add a lot.

Keep it up though! :thumbsup:

pdaley
04-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Here's another version. I've made some small changes suggested by some folks (J Griffin) to her hands and arms. This is a longer movie, but shows 3 views of the walkcycle.

Go!! (http://www.3d-anim8or.com/movieplay.asp?moviename=Roxy3Views)

This link takes advantage of some code that I added to that page that should help those folks that were only seeing a small fraction of the movie before.

As usual, crit and comments are appreciated!

My Fault
04-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Hooee... is she single? :p

Looks great! Love the arm swing, wiggle to her walk and the subtle shoulder roll. Great job :thumbsup:

pdaley
04-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks, MF!!!!

:buttrock:

PS: She is currently single, but I'm considering changing all that.

SouthernLaw
04-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Hey... Paul's posting here too! Sweet.

Okay - the new animation is much better.... so let's keep going!:wip:

First off - you might want to let us know what sort of personality you're trying to convey.

The arms again... In a natural walk, the elbows are almost never locked straight out like you've got them. Stand with a mirror beside you and see how your arms hang. They bend at the elbow just a tad. Same thing happens during a walk... in some case they make go straigh for a frame or two when changing direction at the end of the back-swing.

Also, when you walk, your arm swings in an arc... inward when it's out in front, out so as to not hit your hip, and inward again (though not nearly as much) when it's behind you.

The waist movement is cool, but a bit unnatural. It's very serpentine... which is pretty damn sexy if you ask me. So if that's your objective, you got it. There's also something else about the hip/chest counter-balance that looks a bit odd... I'm not sure what it is though. I'll have to watch it again when I get home.

Legs... The only problem I see with the legs is that the knee locks straight out when the foot makes contact with the ground. In reality, the knee actually bends slightly because it's absorbing the impact. You can fix this by either dropping the hips down a bit more at the contact pose or by adjusting your up/down timing on the hips.

Now you're cookin' with gas!

pdaley
04-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Personality? I would say... sassy. Not silly or teeny, but more that sort of girl that uses all of her... assets.

Some of the comments I have gotten suggest that I should tone down the sexiness of the walk, and they may be right, but I kind of like the idea that a girl who wears exposed midriff clothing also walks like a model. It's unexpected, but not necessarily out of place.

I guess it all depends on where I want to take her (if My Fault can keep his mits off).

Thanks for the comments by the way. I've been in an animation creative slump for a long time (forever, really) so being able to produce work that people actually feel strongly enough about to respond to is really gratifying.

pdaley
04-28-2003, 02:41 PM
[GO!!] (http://www.3d-anim8or.com/movieplay.asp?moviename=newWalk3views2)

Check her out! She's got the tweaks mentioned here added to her walk. Let me know how she looks.

By the way, this is 10.5's multipass set to 9 passes.

pdaley
04-30-2003, 01:54 PM
No, really. Some responses would be great...

Zaryin
04-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Man, I'm thinkin' that's purty good *wipes drool away* :). I loke it.

Goon
05-01-2003, 01:44 AM
Looks nice.

Hip rotation: is it only along the z axis? its kind of hard to tell but it seems very minimal about the y. people, esp. females tend to have greater rotation there, so that the hip joint moves in a bit of an ellipsoidal path.

But mmmm, the front view:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.