PDA

View Full Version : House In 1841. 'The Legacy', (3D)

digitaldamage
04-03-2003, 11:57 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/9193/9193_1153399707_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/9193/9193_1153399707_large.jpg)

Title: House In 1841. 'The Legacy'
Name:
Software: 3ds max, After Effects, Brazil r/s, Photoshop

Still of an old New England House in 1841.

I've also created an animation based on this image. Stylistically , it's more like a teaser trailer. The pure animation itself is ~35 seconds long.

Here are some preview images:
http://www.digitaldamage.com/images/legacy_motion002_on.jpg http://www.digitaldamage.com/images/legacy_motion003_on.jpg http://www.digitaldamage.com/images/legacy_motion001_on.jpg

You can download the animation here:
the_legacy_divx.avi (http://www.digitaldamage.com/images/motion/the_legacy_divx.avi) (17,5 MB DivX 5.02 avi)

GeneralChaos
04-03-2003, 02:44 PM
I like the house, but cant view the video because I cant get divx 5 on these computers in the school library

digitaldamage
04-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks!
Hm. I would upload a Quicktime version, but my server space is already completely occupied.

Gremlin
04-03-2003, 06:37 PM
awesome... you have some real skill. got any tutorials for us?
Cheers,
:beer:

Lucas A Hansen
04-04-2003, 11:35 PM
You are so Kool! *chokes from the schok*

Lucas

Sherif.Nagib
04-05-2003, 02:46 AM
WOW !!
i can't wait to see the animation (downloading right now)..
how do you guys give your images that sense of hand-drawn ??
i was about to start a thread asking on that..i know it's compositing..but does the animation look like the image too ??.. i try to deduce what you did.. u used some filter to make it grainy..but any other comments plz??..did u use light controls in aftereffects ??..& what about max render ??..was it the ordinary scanline renderer ??..
& your environment is really cool...spooky .

Sherif.Nagib
04-05-2003, 05:12 AM
finally downloaded the video..breathtaking . :thumbsup:

did u use the filter agedfilm ??.. it was nice..but the camera shake was a bit over the top..a bit annoying to eye .

the sky environment is really cool..perhaps u can give us a hint..is it a video over a plane ??

modeling is superior & choosing this great sound track was a big success :thumbsup:

Tikisan
04-05-2003, 06:42 AM
:eek: ...:buttrock:

excellent...really eerie and the music was just right...the images are absolutely awesome...only thing i can say is that maybe just a couple less flashes...also want to echo the request for the method you used to get those effects

digitaldamage
04-05-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks for your nice critique!

Gremlin: No tutorials as of yet. Iīm not too sure about what i can write one, except maybe the sky. Did you got a specific thing in mind?

achilles81: I think in this case that a big part of the hand drawn look comes from the textures. Most of the object edges look somewhat aged. This results in a "smoothed look" which may resemble to a painting (i think this is one key factor). Desaturated, more natural colors are helpful, too.
The renderer used in all scenes was Brazil, but without GI or Bounces, because i dont like the loss of control over the light in this case.
AfterEffects was used for the damage with in the film (plugin), some brightness / contrast corrections and for a tiny bit of color grading.

The sky, short version: walk through hell. Made with max combustion (now called fire effect, i think). Two layers. Rather simple, but the parameter tweaking was tedious. First layer: Moon and base background. Second layer: Use first layer as backgound. Then take at least 50 environment dummys, subclassify them into four or more groups (means: diffenrent cloud settings) and give them three to five different velocities for animation. Then tweak the hell out of the settings until it looks halfway convincing. So itīs more like a 2,5D than 3D sky. (could write a tutorial if thereīs enough interest)

Tikisan: Youīre probably right about the flashes. Itīs a bit overdone like the camera shake. I didnīt recognized it. Presumably routine-blinded. :hmm: Nex time... :surprised

ZeBoxx
04-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Heya,

Amazing stuff :)

I remember the copier on your site - we mentioned it in a news post; looks like only the lighters got credited though. Hmpf. The model is 95% of the work.

I love how you used manual lighting - As much as I like GI (QMC anyway), I have serious admiration for people with manual lighting skills. Where's that thumbs up smiley when I need it ? :thumbsup:

I'll have to peek at the animation later; divx 5.0.3 somehow broke all mediaplayer support - only The Player will play them back now (divx compression is sweet, but the 'company' is mighty shady imho)

/ramble

Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
Richard Annema

malc0lm
04-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Extremly cool! Reminds me of the GameCube releases of Resident Evil. (only judging from the pics then, dling ani now).

Possible too see a wire?

Cheers

Sherif.Nagib
04-05-2003, 11:59 AM
thanks bentarr for the little walkthru.. I think everybody is interested to know how did u make this great sky in details.
i hope you can write this tutorial if you have time .
:beer:

j00st81
04-05-2003, 12:19 PM
sweeet!
(fast dl btw, 450 kb/sec, wish I got that more :D)

could've come right out of a resident evil part :buttrock:

(mabye the "damage" on the film was a bit overdone?)

lmc
04-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Cool, like ur texture.....:drool:

DKnight
04-05-2003, 02:15 PM
damn nice work with great athmosphere :buttrock: , there is definitely to less moody gothic stuff in the cg world :thumbsdow

greetz from old Europe
DKnight

moroten
04-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Sweet! Can anyone say "Uninvited"? It would be cool to remake that classic ol' Mac game... especially with eyecandy like this in it!

stephen2002
04-05-2003, 02:36 PM
looks really great. Good post effect, however the "skipping" of the movie frames (where they jitter up and down every so often) was a bit annoying. The music fit wonderfully and it even sounded good on my laptop speakers. I really like the sky!

MaDSheeP
04-05-2003, 03:31 PM
oh wow... brings me back to resident evil.... incredibly spooky images.... i love it :applause:

Maglok
04-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Sweet man! My kind of trailer/teaser. :)
You said the bass would prolly be overbassed at different sound systems... I tested this, nope sounds good on either with or without subwoofer.

SEPHROTH64
04-05-2003, 04:50 PM
damn that was nice and creepy =D

dark_lotus
04-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Very Nice, I was a big fan of the original image, and I recognised it the moment I saw it. I'm so glad you made it into an animation!

Very Cool, great stuff!

John Lee
04-05-2003, 06:07 PM
wow look like horror film right?? iit's look really cool man you got any character to go in the scene? or are you making them?

good work

John Lee

el paso
04-05-2003, 06:36 PM
very impressive, I like it alot

:)

be rad

ps. I LOVE the sky!

Geco
04-05-2003, 07:49 PM
nice work. :)

cac2889
04-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Holy Crap!:eek:

Sweet work:thumbsup: :D

I wish I could do that.

Tikisan
04-05-2003, 08:19 PM
i would definitely be interested in a tutorial if you have the time. :bounce:

digitaldamage
04-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Wohoo! On the front side! Thank you admins!

ZeBoxx: Thanks for your critique on the copier! You are working at/with SplutterFish, right? What can i say, amazing renderer. Best available, imho.
As there are more problems with DivX, i tried hard to get a free webspace for a Quicktime version, but didnīt found a usable one. Most of the free webspace providers block single files above 5 or so MB. I hope you could see the avi nontheless.

j00st81: Good to know that the download speed is fast. Already asked myself how fast the server may be from another country. Thanks!

DKnight: Greetings back from old europe ;)

moroten: Yeah! Uninvited! Played it back then, but not on a mac. I think it was on a 386, or was it a C64? Thatīs more than ten years ago, iirc. Wow! :beer:
It seems like there are no problems at all with the sound. Probably the speakers i heared the video on were not very good, thought.

neolee40: Yup. It was indended to look like horrorfilms. But no caracters in the make. That would take too long, i fear.

Thanks everybody for your critique!

Starv
04-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Very cool bentarr. Nice work indeed. :)

I like the lighting, and the modelling, the nice and creepy soundtrack, and the clouds look great too. The camera moves and clipping were well executed and worked.

The only thing that didn't work for me however, was the damaged-film effect. In my opinion it doesn't go well with colours. It just doesn't seem plausible (inside my little head, that is :) ) that a film with that much damage, jitter and scratches could have been shot in colour. Have you tried out making it with even less colour saturation, or perhaps in total black-and-white?

Top-notch work nonetheless. I know I'm probably nitpicking.

cheers :beer:

killahsin
04-06-2003, 01:11 AM
Very nice work on the post. Impressive grain there, Resident evilish. I've been working on a scene with this style myself now for a while. I just cant get that grain. Very nice indeed

facial
04-06-2003, 05:34 AM
:D :thumbsup:

Turbonium
04-06-2003, 05:36 AM
Again, nice work.

sinthetic
04-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Wonderful modeling and Post effects. My only crit is that all the shots are too similar imo. They all do the same thing, I would break up the movement some to make it a little more dynamic. I understand the mood you are trying to convey (and doing well I might add=) however it almost seems like a couple shots are looped repeats-too similar. I would even make a couple snappy camera pans or spins that then slow to a hault around an object. Great work!

lildragon
04-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Incredible atmosphere! Resident Evil all the way :thumbsup: I'm really drawn by the environment in the animation, the music was right up the alley. One thing you might want to tone down on is the fim grain. It's a bit too much. Other than that rock on!

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very very nice work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Larry_g1s
04-07-2003, 05:31 AM
I LOVE IT ! ! ! :buttrock:

Where is the Capcom contract? A couple of months ago I finished Resident Evil for the GameCube , it was the 1st time I'd played the RE series before, and had an absolute blast playing that game (can't wait to get on to REØ :thumbsup: ). But what I loved about the game, you totally captured. It was creepy but not disturbing, scary but not gory. It was beautifully done, with great detail, CG, etc., and you captured that as well. Seriously, you've gotta send that to Capcom. Great job!

digitaldamage
04-07-2003, 10:03 AM
:eek:
Awwww. Iīm honoured! Thank you very much!

Starv: Tried it in black & white. Was pretty good, but i liked the remaining bit of colour, so i left it as that.

sinthetic: You are right. Now as you say it, i can also see that the shots may be a bit too similar.

lildragon: Acknowledged. At least, the grain is now a bit less visible than in the original image posted back last year. ;)

Juggernaut: Thank you! Funny thing is, i never played Resident Evil, but would, if i have a console. Only seen pictures of it and they looked of course totally amazing. Btw., the title "The Legacy" is a homage to the game "The Legacy: Realm of Terror", a role playing adventure developed by Magnetic Scrolls and released in 1993.

Larry_g1s
04-08-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by bentarr
Juggernaut: Thank you! Funny thing is, i never played Resident Evil, but would, if i have a console. Only seen pictures of it and they looked of course totally amazing. Btw., the title "The Legacy" is a homage to the game "The Legacy: Realm of Terror", a role playing adventure developed by Magnetic Scrolls and released in 1993.

Aww man.. what are you waiting for? You can get Resident Evil Ø for free with a purchase of a GameCube (you can get that, Metriod Prime, StarFox Adventure, or Mario Party 4) if you live in the U.S. The deal is going on in other countries, but with different games.

hakkston
04-10-2003, 06:33 PM
WOW DUDE!
Great lights, ROX! :buttrock:
congratulations!!! :beer:

cyrano
04-12-2003, 09:18 PM
cool work,
i loved the details:thumbsup:

rrobert
04-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Nice, but old wood shouldn't be reflective...
But on the other hand it is very good! :thumbsup:

uucww
05-09-2003, 09:19 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

weijiajia315
05-30-2003, 08:34 AM
My God! I download the animation ,but I can't view it with the quicktime 6,who can tell me why? I really wonder to view the animation ,really want to view it,Now I only can heard the voice:shrug: :bounce:

symantix
06-03-2003, 03:57 PM
I like the animation a lot. Superb work. But I agree with the comment way back about the jitters. You could leave all of the film grain that you have in it, and take the jitters out completely, or at least almost completely, and it would look great. You could tone down the grain a bit, as many have said, but in my opinion, if you bumped the jitters back a great deal, you would do this masterpiece a much greater service...

Keep it up, my friend!

T Bomb
06-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Bentarr your work looks absolutely AMAZING! Could you PLEASE post a tutorial on how you did the clouds?

GREAT JOB! :thumbsup:

Soljarag
06-03-2003, 11:12 PM
Looks great :)

I too agree about the jitters, cut it down to only a few and it would be perfect

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.