PDA

View Full Version : Mograph Question

Linds
09-08-2007, 02:34 AM
I'm using MoGraph to model forms based on mathematical paterns in nature, such as the spiraling paterns seen in the sead heads of many plants, and also in fir cones and sea shells.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20070505/mathtrek.asp

My problem, is that by default, the Mograph tools always maintain a constant spacing between cloned objects centers, whatever other transformations are being applied, so that for example, when clones are progresivly scaled and rotated, they APPEAR to either overlap, or become more seperated.

Is there a way of setting things up, so that the spaces BETWEEN the clones remains constant, as in my example here.

Hope this makes sense.

Linds

Per-Anders
09-08-2007, 03:15 AM
There's no "precise" way, but you can use the Step size with the Step Mode set to Cumulative to roughly get a result like that. You can also use effectors, e.g. the step effector to more precisely move clones closer together, and of course if you use formula effectors you can put in your own formulae to control various parameters of clones.

jackb602
09-08-2007, 04:35 AM
You might also want to take a look at Xfrog. (http://www.xfrogdownloads.com/greenwebNew/products/xfrog42SubStart.htm) It's designed for exactly this purpose.

Jack

LucentDreams
09-08-2007, 06:52 AM
xfrog an dpit are both better suited for nature based cloning

Linds
09-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the good advice guys, much appreciated.

Linds

JoelOtron
09-08-2007, 12:58 PM
If you still happen to have Jenna--there was a nice function called "proportional" cloning which kept the distances between objects and their gaps, well--proportional. Would be nice to have that function in mograph.

vid2k2
09-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Just used that the other day.
Jenna
Iterator
Attributes
Scale
Proportional

Edit:
Here's a quick example: pic 1 no space between
pic 2 is spacing adjusted in the attributes section
pic 3 shows the Jenna fields / size and spacing

chalkman
09-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi Linds,

Great website and awesome work! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

David

Linds
09-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Yess I do still have JENNA, although I haven't used it for a long time, looks like I will have to dust it off and pop it back in the old plugins folder.

Thanks for the tip David.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2007, 10:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.