PDA

View Full Version : Blending modes

Gilgamesh
04-03-2003, 09:00 AM
I think this is pretty universal, but I'm asking it in relationship to after effects.
Is there any sort of standard blending modes for compositing shadows, lighting, and reflections into live action? I feel like I can get a comp to look good just in normal mode, but is there a physically or mathematically "correct" mode for each of these things?

Flywaver
04-03-2003, 04:27 PM
I have the "Creative Motion Graphic in AE vol.1" which explains in details all blending modes...if this is what you mean. :shrug:

Cheers!

Gilgamesh
04-03-2003, 07:20 PM
I know what a lot of them do, I just wonder if those blending modes correspond to any real world phenomena as it applies to compositing.

Chris
04-03-2003, 08:59 PM
theres certain blending modes that people usually use for shadows reflections etc, but I dont think there is anything 'real world' about them - its just whatever looks right to you...

There was a discussion in the combustion forum about the best transfer modes for which pass

1armedScissor
04-04-2003, 05:41 PM
chris has a point. There are no set rules or guildined as a compositor, other than "if it looks right then it's right, if it looks wrong, then it's wrong". There are many different ways and combinations to use blending modes to achieve tons of different things. With time and experience you will formulate your own workflow and eventually know what blending modes you like to use in what situations to achieve a desired result. I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for, but I hope it helps.

joconnell
04-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Normally diffuse passes are just left normal, shadow passes (black shadows on white backgrounds) are used in multiply mode and specular or reflection passes are done in screen mode. Fire looks well in add mode with a lowered opacity, volumetric stuff like thin smoke or beams of light use screen, thicker smoke should be rendered with an alpha or shot against a black screen and then luminance keyed. Again these really apply to photoshop or after effects. Flame and combustion (The versions I've used) don't have some of these modes.

Ghostever
04-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Multiply mode for shadows, and Screen mode for lighting and reflections.
the Overlay mode is pretty good for magic lighting.

Gilgamesh
04-15-2003, 07:03 PM
cool, thanks for the insight.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.