PDA

View Full Version : mib_colour_mix usage

myceliom
09-07-2007, 10:07 AM
hey guys,
Am trying to get a layered shader going using Mental ray. Obviously cant use maya's layered shaders (I'm trying to use the mia_material with some text with an alpha over the top). I cant use the mix20layer shader as I am on an Intel Mac (I could boot in Rosetta but its so slow) so was wondering how to use the mib_colour_mix node under Data Conversion? Is this the tool I need? Any help would be great as I've scoured the documentation and it is not that helpful really...
many thanks

djx
09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Are you sure you cant use the maya layered shader? I know you cant drag-n-drop your mr shaders into the gui, but you should be able to still hook them up to it using the connection editor.

(I've never used mib_colour_mix node so cant help with that)

-- David

myceliom
09-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your reply man - yeah I did read somewhere you can use the connection editor to hook up the layered shader with MR materials..and I did quickly try it..but I became confused with what to hook up to where in the connection editor? If this is a workaround then great so if anyone has any tips on what to connect to where in the connection editor then that would be great as the mib_colour_mix doesnt really seem widely used..

modernPrimitive
09-07-2007, 01:11 PM
If you create a layer in a Maya layered shader by clicking you can then mmb (mac?) drag a mr node onto the colour channel of that layer. Using the connection editor it would be something like connecting "Out Color" to the "Color" of the Layer. I Find Layered shaders really slow in MR though.

myceliom
09-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I've sort of got it working - however, something is not right.
I am mapping the outvalue of the mia_texture to the 'Inputs/Inputs(0)/Inputs(0).Colour of the layered shader in the Connection Editor. I know I'm mapping to the wrong section but having tried various combinations I cant seem to ge a result that works!

EDIT - basically, I can only get the diffuse channel from the mia_texture working in the layered shader - the specular etc is ignored...

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2007, 02:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.