PDA

View Full Version : Mt Bachelor DEM in Vue 6 xstream

dreamatek
09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
I just bought Vue 6 specifically to do a render of Mount Bachelor. I used 3DEM to export the DEM files correctly. It looks good previed in the program, but when I import it into Vue it looks nothing like Mt Bachelor. More like a tall thin volcano. I tried sizing just the x and y but still it doesn't look right. Here's a photo of what the mountain should look like and a current render in the state it's in right now.
Maybe part of the problem could be measuring and sizing the skyline and mountain correctly, I love this program but can't figure this out. Any help would be awesome!

IvanB
09-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi,

The shape of the mountain looks pretty right to me.

Im not sure what your expecting from the DEM file, but all it will give you is the terrain shape.
You might want to texture the terrain with some snow trees etc. Move the camera to get the right angle, setup the atmos to create the illusion of distance..A way to do this is to put some larger sharper/clearer objects in the forground and gradually make objects smaller and less clear as they get closer to the mountain (not covering mountain)...A bit of haze will help.

If you want..post the DEM and i'll make you a quick video tute.

dreamatek
09-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah! That would be awesome! Here's the DEM download.

64.13.248.169/Bachelor-Combined.zip

Look foward to the tutorial!

IvanB
09-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi,

Before I make the tute...Is the kind of result your after?

dreamatek
09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I just read that Vue doesn't interperet the DEMs correctly with dimensions, I'm trying to figure out how to correct that as well. I opened the DEM up in Max and it looks so much different then in view when rendered...ah but Max chokes, it's so so much easier to work with the DEM in Vue.
I attached another photo of Bachelor photo for the look I am after, like the last one. I think all the trees are pine. Going for a sunny day with sparse clouds and very little hze. I know it helps in Vue to add the haze to make the environment for real though. Was planning on having the camera moving toward the mountain for 6 seconds at a speed of say 200 mph., like you are flying very low to the ground. Problem is the land and mountain when i move the camera around doesn't come off like the environment is as big as it should be. Bachelor is huge, but I can't get it to stop looking like a small island volcano in Vue.
Even with this learning curve, I'm still enjoying this program very much!

Zendik
09-09-2007, 12:42 AM
http://i19.tinypic.com/6atzh1j.jpg

Here's a crack at it....

Phalse
09-09-2007, 02:06 AM
God I love this program.

Yeah I know what you mean about the scale, it seems even these huge mountains I create when I try to fly by they go way too fast. I need a way to slow down the camera. I'm sure you can and I just have not learned the Vue controls well enough.

But To get real deatil, think about it if you flew toward mt bachlor at 200 mph, IRL you would be seeing below you 100,000's of trees and you can't place that much detail In one scene.
Have you placed that many trees?
From a real life view above the forest, at any point a human looking down would see 1000's-10,000's of trees in his FoV. Start flying around and you are getting in to the 100,000's of trees and other brush IRL.

The work above me is great and looks like something you would be going for but for my example I can count the number of trees I can see in the picture above me on that hill, I can't do this IRL because there are just too many trees and other details.

To do this in 3D you are going to need to create multiple sceens with mt bachlor in the background copying and resizing so it gets closer, while spending a larger amounts of time creating the close up detail of trees below you to cover that much distance and look realistic, then composite those renders in post processing.

You are going to need to create the "illusion" of this effect in the 3D app not replicate a real life fly by to mt bachlor because the PC would choke on the trees and detail.

Phalse
09-09-2007, 04:07 AM
Just thought of one more thing, what about the difference of the terrain being created as procedural or standard?

IvanB
09-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Here some images of a scene I created where I used the DEM and placed it ontop of another terrain...Really basic texturing, but the camera flys over for 6 seconds..

Phalse
09-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Wow Nice Job Ivan. That looks awesome.
So many Trees! Vue is really great for being able to handle that much detail.

dreamatek
09-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey Ivan! Just got back in town. Nice! You got a lot of trees in the scene! I'm going to mess with the scale and horizon. I am going to bring in more DEM of the surroundings and hopefully the camera animation will look more realistic.

bruno021
09-10-2007, 11:40 AM
There are several ways to import DEMs into Vue.

First, choose the terrain in editor icon ( RMB or long LMB on the terrain icon), then you can specify the size of your terrain, make sure you choose the same size as your dem file, or a fraction of it if it is very big. Then in the terrain editor, go the usual picture blend routine, I guess you know this one already.
Second method is easier, choose the object import function, and simply import your DEM file, this way, it already has the correct size, but be careful if it is too big, first method may be better.
Third method is to use a procedural terrain, but for this you need a 16bit Geotiff DEM, not a USGS DEM format and choose a fraction of the DEM file, proc terrain don't need high pixel resolutions.
In the function editor, choose a blend node and load in the geotiff by choosing the bitmap import node, and blend this node with a fractal node, set blending to a small value, so the geotiff image will be the main function, but you'll get some infinite detailing thanks to the fractal noise. This will modify the shape of the dem, so check what you are doing using the function output observer.
Also see if "zero edges" is checked for your terrain, most of the times, it is better to uncheck this box when using dems.

Zendik
09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
After a little more work....

http://i8.tinypic.com/5xzvu2u.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/4oq3k7c.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/63rbeo9.jpg

I'm getting the animation set up just to see what happens..

Phalse
09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
That new work looks great, keep it up!

IvanB
09-11-2007, 05:34 AM
That looks really good Jason!http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

I need to buy myself a pine tree.

Are you controlling the eco population with variable scaling function, to make the trees look smaller as they get closer to the mountain, or are you painting smaller trees?

Zendik
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
That looks really good Jason!http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

I need to buy myself a pine tree.

Are you controlling the eco population with variable scaling function, to make the trees look smaller as they get closer to the mountain, or are you painting smaller trees?

Hi Ivan.
The tree is "Distant Pine" from Cornucopia and all I did is populate it with the painter at a size of 0.124. Distance made them look smaller, I guess... The rest of the mountain is textured with Chipp Walters Terrapak ( Link (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=162&t=534631) ).
I made a small animation and am about 50 frames from being done but here's part of it now:
>>Bachelor Animation<< (http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=5228210)

IvanB
09-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Thanks Jason,

Dont want to hijack this thread, but is the terrapak any good? Is it worth getting?

Zendik
09-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks Jason,

Dont want to hijack this thread, but is the terrapak any good? Is it worth getting?

I think it's well worth getting. Not only do I better understand Vues' matrials and layers but I have an arsenal of Terragen Mats to create with and more info than I have time to spend on. I think after it was released there was a number of gallery submissions at Cornucopia and Rendo with TP landscapes, all with happy campers.

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2007, 01:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.