PDA

View Full Version : character studio

RamiroP
04-03-2003, 03:37 AM
Is there any plugin for maya 4.5 like character studio for 3dsMax?

dmcgrath
04-03-2003, 04:38 AM
Ive never know exactly what character studio did. But I think if you look around the AW w/s they have a charater setup freebie. Something that helps create two and multi legged characters.

You can also check highend3d.com as an extra resource.

GrafOrlok
04-03-2003, 08:15 AM
There's actually nothing like Character Studio for Maya, even though there are plenty of rigging plugs and mels around (Skeleton works, SetupMachine, Advanced skeleton etc). When you are used to CS you expect things to work in certain ways and the way Maya handles skeletons and due to hierarchy issues things can not work the same as in CS.

Personally I really like the seamless integration of IK/FK, the plant key-features, fast setup, brilliant bind-pose function, havinganimation layers, copying and mirroring of poses and a few more features. Still there are plenty of dissadvantages with it as always when you get a fully automated rig like this. Things that Maya have absolutely no problems with.

I have made Maya rigs based on my experience with CS that are working great and my fellow animators says it is very easy and intuitive to use. Maybe some day I'll do a tutorial, or if I'll ever team up with a good programmer, I'll do a script for it. That would certainly help our workflow!:beer:

Miyazaki
04-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Ramiro, check this thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17743

GrafOrlok
04-03-2003, 09:25 AM
I tried that one this summer, but it's pretty far from being Character Studio. Most of the rig seemed to be hijacked from Advanced Skeleton (with names and all). And I doubt they can call it "CS for Maya" when it eventually releases.
Bummer.:thumbsdow

RamiroP
04-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Graf,
Could you send me one of your rigs and/or point me to a tutorial?
I suppose that Maya's capabilities are greater than cs but the process seems too complex for my current maya skills.
Thanks,

GrafOrlok
04-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Sorry can't at the moment. But as I said, when things cool down at work I'll take some time and do a tutorial or something.

Rigging in Maya is no pic-nic. But the end result is often a very versatile and adjustable. And you can approach it in a million different ways.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.