PDA

View Full Version : MR in Maya twice as slow than in MAX

olcho
09-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I worked on some project, where I had to do some render setup in Maya, using Mental Ray. My 3D supervisor gave me some references made in MAX and I duplicated them in Maya, but the render times were much higher.

So I made a very simple test:
In 3D Studio MAX I made a plane and a Box on it, threw a standart shader with a texture, an omni light, switched to Mental Ray and rendered a HD 1080 frame using the default MR settings. It took about 30 sec.

Then I exported the scene using FBX to Maya, used the same render setting for MR like they were in MAX and the frame took 50-something sec to render.

The renders looked quite the same, but the difference in the render times is quite scary!
Can anyone shed some light on this?

floze
09-06-2007, 12:11 PM
What sampling rates have you been using on your test? The 3dsmax samples options look quite different from maya's, so maybe you mixed something up?

MasterZap
09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Also, Maya defaults to "segment" shadow mode which can be more expensive to calculate.

/Z

olcho
09-06-2007, 03:51 PM
I didn't use any shadows.

I used Max's default render settings:
Samples: 1/4, 4 (in Maya that is -1, 1)
Filter Type: Box - 1.0, 1.0
Contrast: 0.05 for RGBA (Maya's default is 0.1, so I changet it to 0.05)
Bucket Width - 48 (in Maya that's shoud be the Task Size, which usually is controlled by Maya, so I changet it to 48 as well)
BSP Size: 10
BSP Depth:40
Memory Limit - same to both

I think that's pretty much it.

The Contrast and Texture filtering plays a great role in the render. When I rendered in Maya with Contrast - 0.1, it rendered the image in 20-something sec.
If I remove the texture Filtering - it renders even faster, but it looks really crappy

There are other ways to make Maya render faster, but what's interesting that using the same parameters in both programs, Maka takes a lot longer. And after all, Mental Ray in the same (at least it should be) for both of them.

May be I'm doing something wrong, and if I am, I'd love to know what.

alexentremont
09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Are you doing your tests on a multi-core machine? Then make sure that Mental Ray for Maya is using all available cores.

olcho
09-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Unless I've missed something, as far as I know, all the settings are the same.
It will be nice if someone made a simple test for themselves and share the results.

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2007, 09:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.