PDA

View Full Version : Skin tones help

Dacon
09-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Can anyone list the different hues that go with which parts of the body? You know like there's a red hue to the cheeks and elbows? I have a fairly dark skintone which makes it difficult for me to learn from my own body. Any help is appreciated.

bonestructure
09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm sure you've noticed, but in case you haven't, there are godzillions of pictures of naked people, both male and female available on the net. Try to collect images that are reasonably well lit and unretouched. These should show you the tonal differences. And even with dark skin there are differences. Now, to go to the extreme, you could, in photoshop, create a color pallette by opening the pictures, using the color picker to pick the various tones, and painting a stripe of color in a new image, until you have a collection of all the various color tones in any given body. Then you could open this palette image anytime you're painting a skin texture and pick any of the tones by again using the color picker. I've probably not explained this at all well, but I create palettes for this purpose quite frequently.

One thing you should remember about skin, however. Regardless of the varying tones of different areas of the body, skin is never a smooth, even color. It's mottled and there are numerous tones in any given area of skin.

Tonik
09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
A tut that might help is Rob Lemens one on skin tones:
http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/14030
http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/14033

I have a book by Boris Valejo describing how where skin is tight like on hips and shoulders there tends to be a blueish hue and around fattier areas it's more red.

Dacon
09-13-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm sure you've noticed, but in case you haven't, there are godzillions of pictures of naked people, both male and female available on the net. Try to collect images that are reasonably well lit and unretouched. These should show you the tonal differences. And even with dark skin there are differences. Now, to go to the extreme, you could, in photoshop, create a color pallette by opening the pictures, using the color picker to pick the various tones, and painting a stripe of color in a new image, until you have a collection of all the various color tones in any given body. Then you could open this palette image anytime you're painting a skin texture and pick any of the tones by again using the color picker. I've probably not explained this at all well, but I create palettes for this purpose quite frequently.

I've actually done most of that, or at least attempted to. But there's obviously something I'm doing wrong because it never looks natural. I have an idea of where the tones go and some of the colors, but I just can't get it right. A tut that might help is Rob Lemens one on skin tones:
http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/14030
http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/14033

I've actually seen those, and they were a bit helpful. Maybe it's my technique that sucks, but I'm sure there's some aspect regarding the hues and blending them in with other colors of the skin that I'm missing. Which is why I made this thread to learn something from the more experienced artists around here.

I have a book by Boris Valejo describing how where skin is tight like on hips and shoulders there tends to be a blueish hue and around fattier areas it's more red.

What's the name of this book? Boris Valejo's paintings are incredible, I have to check this out.

Arsyn
09-16-2007, 11:35 PM
I've actually done most of that, or at least attempted to. But there's obviously something I'm doing wrong because it never looks natural. I have an idea of where the tones go and some of the colors, but I just can't get it right.

It might be helpful if you posted an example of your work so that people can help identify what you may be doing wrong.

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2007, 11:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.