PDA

View Full Version : materials - reflective

shizzle
09-04-2007, 07:18 PM
How come when i apply a reflective bhodinut material to 3d text only the rounded edges can be reflective and the front facing camera view looks as if nothing is there...as in no material! can anyone help??? much appreciated thanks!

Per-Anders
09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
because the bhodinut materials are simulating multilayered materials and what you're seeing is the fresnel effect. if you just want something reflective then i would suggest using the standard cinema material (which i'd recommend anyway over the bhodinut shaders as you can do everything that they can do apart from anisotrophic reflections only with far more control and flexibility).

shizzle
09-04-2007, 07:39 PM
sorry to sound daft ...but where do i find them?

shizzle
09-04-2007, 08:02 PM
ok sorry i found them but take a look at how my render comes out ..can you see the front doesnt have any reflection etc to it...

kromekat
09-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Whats in front of the logo to reflect exactly?

Adam

shizzle
09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
nothing its all just in the materials bit...

kromekat
09-04-2007, 08:27 PM
You can use an hdri or reflection map in the environment channel to get a faux reflection, but in the actual reflection channel, you need something to reflect, in which case you can add the same hdri or relect map to a sky object (or whatever) and make it unseen by the camera with a compositing tag, but still reflected by the material on your logo.

Adam

Joseppi
09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
nothing its all just in the materials bit...

Shizzle, That looks about right.. there's nothing to reflect except the frontal light. You could load a texture into the environment channel, and sometime putting a slight bump map, the surface still looks flat, but has just enough of a bump to add some character to the reflections...

That's what I did for this gold logo (very slight bump)

www.kingtones.com

Joe

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.