PDA

View Full Version : ctrl displacement - will fur work with displacement?? - URGENT!!!

Sorath
09-04-2007, 11:04 AM
hi there.

i've read that it is possible to get maya (8.5 sp.1) fur to react on displacement with the ctrl.displacement.

is it right?

because now with no ctrl.displacement, the displacement is eating my very short fur (so you don't see the fur anymore - it's under the displacement).

if it's possible, please send me a link where i can download the ctrl.displacement.
i've already searched the whole forum and whole google for it didn't found it - just found ctrl.multidisplace - but it's not the same - isn't it!?

so all helps regarding to displacement and fur are very appreciated!!!
already checked out ctrl.fur (but this don't seems to help out for displacement or am i wrong!?).

thx
Bastian

wigal
09-04-2007, 11:32 PM
vermutlich hier:

http://www.mymentalray.com/mymr_shaders/shaders.htm

Jozvex
09-05-2007, 04:47 AM
The other way to deal with displacement + fur in Maya is to put the same displacement map into the Offset mapping slot on the Fur description, then hit the Bake button. It'll make your fur start growing at the correct offset from the surface to match the displaced model.

:thumbsup:

Sorath
09-05-2007, 01:45 PM
i've tried that all, but i've already figured it out.
the workflow in this case is not so easy, because it's an mudbox displacement - so there are some values at alpha gain and alpha offset at the file texture node.
so i had to plug it into an clamp node to clamp the values to -0.5 and 0.5 and then i typed under map multiplicator in fur discriptions offset -0.5, this worked for the still, because i was able to readjust the alpha offset, but in the animation some frames in the middle are not working, the hair just begins to float around slightly.

but i think that's because the main problem is that our render is done in 3dmax and the fur in maya and i'm not able to get 100% the same displacement settings from max to maya.

anyway, we're doing the hair now in max.

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2007, 01:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.