PDA

View Full Version : render layers -blank frames?

cambomb
09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
ok i'm having a problem! Essentially what happens is the first frame of the batch render, looks perfect exactly how its suppose to but every frame after that comes out blank. No matter if i skip ahead to frame 12 or 300 the first frame i set to render renders out correctly. But every frame after that is blank. I want to composite this stuff in after effects, I have keep layers selected as the compositing bit in the options.

heres what it looks like at the first frame
http://www.cambomb.com/other/ground.jpg

heres what it looks like at the second frame
http://www.cambomb.com/other/ground_blank.jpg

I've been stumped on this all day, i've read through the maya help tutorial a few times trying to see if there was a fix to this issue and i just can't find it. Anyone have any ideas or ever had this issue?

I did a couple test scenes to see if i was doing something wrong but the test scenes rendered out fine. So i'm at a bit of a loss :(

Thank you for your time and help guys and gals!
-Cameron

yenvalmar
09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
i was just logging onto the forums to check about yet ANOTHER bug but basically, render layers are terminally ****ed and its ruining my life, at least i am not alone..

there are scripts which will launch a separate batch render for every frame, to work around your bug. thats all i can say, i dont have any links but look around :) good luck.

royter
09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
did you try to download SP1 for maya 8.5?

mr Bob
09-03-2007, 10:39 PM
yenvalmar (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=60881) your not alone , we have had 2 seperate projects suffer render layers break. One moment you have materials on all your objects next you dont. You can fire off a render and you get back a mis match of rendered passes. The whole render layers system is a pile of rubbish. What gets me is doesnt anyone on the maya dev team actually test their software to see if it works....

B

yenvalmar
09-03-2007, 10:58 PM
i will check it out but i'm right in the midst of trying to get these renders done and i cant afford to take the time to uninstall and reinstall maya ATM... sort of an ironic problem eh..

cambomb
09-04-2007, 12:12 AM
ahh man are you kidd'n? alot of people are having this issue! Damn this sucks, I guess the only real option left is to just render each layer out seperately...this is gonna take for ever -_-

SP1 for maya? yeah, i've all the updates for maya as well as drivers, windows etc... so unless one of the updates are what messed it up i'm not sure what else to do. Glad to know i'm not alone in this instance! Makes me feel a bit less retarded :)

chriswaner
09-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey All,

No question that render layers in maya is buggy.

With regard to the disappearing geometry, it could be related to mental ray's animation detection. In the render settings>>mental ray Tab>>Translation>>Performance>>Turn off the optimize animation detection flag. Disappearing geometry in mental ray has usually been related to this for me in the past.

Chris

cambomb
09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
awesome i'll give that a try thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.