PDA

View Full Version : FBIK rigging problem

FunkyCowie
09-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I am just finishing off a character that I have rigged with FBIK in Maya I am having a problem thats for me hard to explain in words with out visual aid so if you think you can help just view the video at the below link.

http://funkycowie.com/?page_id=39 (http://funkycowie.com/?page_id=39)

Bascially this shows the arm working as it should however the forearm geometry which is parented (simple model) to the elbow joint so in the last movement you can see that when I rotate the wrist some how the FBIK rig makes the elbow joint rotate thus causing the geometry to rotate but this is not affected by the initial hand up/down or left/right movement.

How can I stop the rig from rotating the forearm geometry?

Thanks in advance :)

FunkyCowie
09-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow 32 views and no one posting a response... is FBIK that under used?

Solved my problem anyway... took 6 hours spread over about 4 days and a few cuss words... ok many cuss words ^^o

Basically to fix it I created a single joint and v-snaped it to the elbow joint then checked its orientation to figure out which axis I didn't want it to rotate on which was X. I then orient constrained it in Z and Y only. Then point constrained it to the elbow in all axis. Finally I parented the Forearm geometry to the joint and it doesn't rotate now when I rotate the wrist.

I'm so proud of my self! Yay! :D

yenvalmar
09-07-2007, 01:27 AM
its NEVER going to rotate on that axis, which is probably not what you want either.

i had actually forgotten fbik even exists, i just checked the thread to remind myself why i never mess with it :)

FunkyCowie
09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
but strangely the elbow joint when using FBIK does rotate on X rather than the forearm joint placed between elbow and wrist... this wouldn't be a problem if my geometry were skinned to the joints but as the geometry is parented and I did not want deformation occuring it did give me problems.

bclark
09-08-2007, 06:13 AM
you can/should be able to just turn off the arm roll attribute on the rig settings (setting it to 100) will put all twist at the wrist.

FunkyCowie
09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
I'll give that a shot and if it works I'll get rid of my fix because I want to do it properly :D

Thanks for the reply :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.