PDA

View Full Version : CGocracy - Version 2!

archerx
09-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi, guys awhile back I released www.CGocracy.com (http://www.CGocracy.com) and it was well recived and I got a lot of feed back, but because of that feed back I started making changes to the site. Because of those changes the site broke and I was stumped on how to fix it, so Franklyn offered to help me out we managed to get it working. It took a lot of work, effort and time but it was worth it, so I hope you enjoy it.

But what is it you ask?

CGocracy is user driven social news website. now what the does that mean? Everything is submitted by our community (that would hopefully be you). After you submit stories/content, other people read the submissions and vote on what they like best. If your story is good and receives enough votes, it is promoted to the front page for all of the visitors to see.

What can you do as a user? Lots. Every person can vote (help promote), bury (help remove bad stories), and comment on stories. you can even vote and bury comments you like or dislike. Want to share a video or news story with the community? Vote for it at www.cgocracy.com (http://www.cgocracy.com/)

So with the help of you guys it can catch on and be really cool, just submit and vote away!

If you have any comments or suggestions on the site please let me know!

Don't forget www.cgocracy.com (http://www.cgocracy.com/)

Geta-Ve
09-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Very first thing I notice is the blazingly bright background. Definitely an eyesore that doesn't make me want to visit or stay too long. I do like the whole social aspect though, and I hope it expands as it makes available news I might otherwise not notice.

I would use CGTalk as a color reference, or perhaps any site that goes for dark background style.

I will definitely keep going but hopefully the color scheme changes to something that doesn't burn the pupils :D

EDIT: A few other initial things I noticed upon registering is the font color, definitely way too light for such a bright background. I do love how easy registration was however.

The vote system is pretty nifty and I can see it being great once it gets going. However a bit more explanation on how to use the site would be great, perhaps a page dedicated to explaining (with graphics) all its functions and uses, etc.

Also as a first time user the big vote number is kind of confusing, at first I thought it was a rating system (out of 10) though that is mainly due to low traffic (more traffic would increase number past 7 haha) But for new users they may not understand what the vote number means.

My suggestion would be to reduce the actual vote number as it is pretty big (perhaps it is automatically reduced in size when double digits comes around?) I would set it up something like;

VOTES
Vote Now

Or something similar to indicate not only that that is the number of votes recieved so far, but you can click on the image (or below) to vote on it as well.

Anyhow, just my initial reactions. I do love the idea, concept and will definitely be coming back.

EDIT2: One other thing, I am assuming then when you click on the HOME button it takes you to the front page where (I pressume) everything is displayed including news, images, animation etc. Which is definitely fine as you have the great menu to the left, however some clear definition of which article pertains to which section would be awesome. Perhaps with use of icons? If you have perhaps 50x50px icons on each article and also next to each menu item on the left people would be able to easily and quickly match up what pertains to what.

If that makes sense?

EDIT3: Also :P the ranking system doesn't seem to be working for me, nor the sorting/ordering system. Am I doing something wrong?

Sry for all the edits and the long post, but I honestly do love what you have here.

archerx
09-04-2007, 02:28 AM
Wow thanks Geta-ve, that's one massive post! we're still tweaking the site so we'll definatly look into your suggestions, but really the brightness bothered you? I've been staring at the site for months and it has effected me at all.

Tomorrow I'll making a CG Cast episode to explain how the site works, it should be fun.

Thanks again for your input, its much appreciated!

Oh yea check out the "Live" section it's pretty cool, it updated all the activity in real time, it will be even cooler once there are more people using the site!

Geta-Ve
09-04-2007, 02:37 AM
Ya I was looking at the live section and the stats and what not that was pretty sweet. As some know I am a stats whore so I always love that sort of thing :D

But ya the brightness is not too bad once you stare at it for awhile, but most definitely the font color needs to be darkened. Light grey on white don't work so well in my opinion :P Especially when using a laptop with no power cord plugged in and having the brightness on the monitor dimmed to save power.

The one other thing I notice, for whatever reason, the blue banner seems out of place. Perhaps if it was bordered by the left menu color (dark grey?) it would fit in a bit more.. Hmm, dunno. Perhaps though that is just artistic preference? ;)

archerx
09-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks, it's artistic preference, unless your browser is rendering it wrong :p but come on guys, submit your stories and vote, the thing is this website can't work with you :)

Geta-Ve
09-05-2007, 12:14 AM
It is possible that the browser is rendering it wrong. What are the color values on the fonts? I find even the login boxes to be very hard to spot (I only know they are there because of the login word being present)

I would also be interested in knowing how the ranking system and what not works, because when I click on most popular (for sorting options I presume) it doesn't sort the list from most votes to least (which was my expected result) In fact any of the sorting methods (unless again, I am presuming wrong on their purpose) don't seem to do much of anything.

One other thing as well, how does the publishing system work? From my understanding, most things that go on in the site before being "live" need to be published, as I have put I think 10+ votes in so far with only 3 or so being published. What does that mean? How does that affect the ranking system and how long before my other votes are published?

There is definitely a lot going on, which brings me to one of my previous points in my previous posts. You definitely need an explanation page to, well, explain how everything works. The CG Cast episode may help though I personally would prefer a page I could refer back to when I am not understanding a feature.

Above all else though I definitely hope this becomes a lot more popular and I had actually expected more than just my comments in here, quite dissapointed by the CGTalk community actually. Keep working hard bro, I will promote this to whoever I know :D

EDIT: One thing I was thinking while making a comment on one of the articles is the fact that it snaps you right out of your reading mode. What I mean is for most people that just want a breif synopsis of the latest news they can scroll down each 'news post' and just vote on which they found interesting or which they have have actually visited, which is perfect. However the fact that the extent of the synopsis is what you see in the 'post' (as most news sites, kotaku for example gives you a synopsis and then you can click for the rest of the story) It would have been less distracting if the comments section would slide out from each 'news post' instead of breaking your grove and sending you to another page.

Or at the very least just have a simple and small pop up window with all the current comments present and an option to leave your own. After you submit you comment you can then close the pop up and keep going down the news articles.

archerx
09-05-2007, 12:27 AM
It is possible that the browser is rendering it wrong. What are the color values on the fonts? I find even the login boxes to be very hard to spot (I only know they are there because of the login word being present)

The fonts are between a really dark grey and black, but I will change up some stuff in the CSS. What browser are you using and could you show me some screen shots of the problem areas?

I would also be interested in knowing how the ranking system and what not works, because when I click on most popular (for sorting options I presume) it doesn't sort the list from most votes to least (which was my expected result) In fact any of the sorting methods (unless again, I am presuming wrong on their purpose) don't seem to do much of anything.

Whoops, I think thats broken... Didn't notice it :eek: Thanks for the heads up!

One other thing as well, how does the publishing system work? From my understanding, most things that go on in the site before being "live" need to be published, as I have put I think 10+ votes in so far with only 3 or so being published. What does that mean? How does that affect the ranking system and how long before my other votes are published?

Well when a story has a certain number of votes it goes from the upcoming section to the front page, right now the number is 5, it's low because the site is starting out but should increase as more people are voting and sending stories to even out and only allow the best stories to make it to the front page.

The top user ranking is a bit complicated and facters a lot of different things though :p

There is definitely a lot going on, which brings me to one of my previous points in my previous posts. You definitely need an explanation page to, well, explain how everything works. The CG Cast episode may help though I personally would prefer a page I could refer back to when I am not understanding a feature.

I'll make an FAQ page, but I'm hoping that it wouldn't be too complicated, and easy to figure out.

Above all else though I definitely hope this becomes a lot more popular and I had actually expected more than just my comments in here, quite dissapointed by the CGTalk community actually. Keep working hard bro, I will promote this to whoever I know :D

Thanks man! any help is appreciated :scream:

Geta-Ve
09-05-2007, 12:33 AM
No problem, and I do want to formaly appologize if I am being pretty blunt or seeming like I am coming down hard on all the hard work you have put in. I am only like this because I can see a ton of potential here.

I definitely want this site to succeed, as per the synopsis, I was thinking what about adding a min character limit, perhaps 500 characters so that each news post would be a bit more defined? Not eniterly sure how it works currently as I haven't submitted anything yet. Will try it out actually. :D

And Once I get home tonight I shall try to do a comprehensive screenshot of all the areas that seem off to me, perhaps it is just my girlfriends laptop (using mozilla firefox)

And and! I think the site in itself IS simple if you already know what you are doing (as I use it now with a few more days under my belt it is quite easy to know where everything is and what things are doing) or for someone that has visited similar sites before. But I think a FAQ page is needed anyways just to clear up any issues as no one would really have a place to discuss any going ons at cgocracy, which leads me to tell you that you definitely will need a forum if/when the site takes off ;)

(copied from my edited post above)

EDIT: One thing I was thinking while making a comment on one of the articles is the fact that it snaps you right out of your reading mode. What I mean is for most people that just want a breif synopsis of the latest news they can scroll down each 'news post' and just vote on which they found interesting or which they have have actually visited, which is perfect. However the fact that the extent of the synopsis is what you see in the 'post' (as most news sites, kotaku for example gives you a synopsis and then you can click for the rest of the story) It would have been less distracting if the comments section would slide out from each 'news post' instead of breaking your grove and sending you to another page.

Or at the very least just have a simple and small pop up window with all the current comments present and an option to leave your own. After you submit you comment you can then close the pop up and keep going down the news articles.

EDIT2 - I have a question, if there is in fact the summary part and a whole news post, how do I get to the news post?? All I ever see are the summary pages.

Geta-Ve
09-05-2007, 02:47 AM
Well when a story has a certain number of votes it goes from the upcoming section to the front page, right now the number is 5, it's low because the site is starting out but should increase as more people are voting and sending stories to even out and only allow the best stories to make it to the front page.

The top user ranking is a bit complicated and facters a lot of different things though :p

What do published votes mean though? Is it the amount of votes cast on actual published articles? Or the amount of votes I placed to "make" an article 'published' ?

thanks!

Geta-Ve
09-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Alrighty, well I am home now and have had a chance to go through (i think) most of the major pages on the site and here are a few things that quickly caught my eye. Whether you edit them or what not is most obviously up to you, but these are just the things I notice.

Note though that most things have to do with colors (white's and greys) blending together creating lost visual effect.

So onward as they say. The first image here (below) deals mostly as I said with the colors blending together. What looks to me like white-ish boxes behind most link fields I think blend in too much with the grey background. It looks almost like you are using gradients but I can't really tell. The other thing I see here is that there is no "clear" definition between news posts.

http://www.ts-studios.com/images/cgo_1.jpg

The second image is simply the login box, which in essence works because of the grey bars below each typing field, but looks awkward when nothing is actually written there. Also the "New User" and "Remember: [ ]" Is kind of broken methinks? And "user" should be capitalized no?

http://www.ts-studios.com/images/cgo_2.jpg

The third image is dealing with the part that tells you who posted that comment. I actually quite like the color scheme (minus perhaps the subtle gradient) but the thing that does work for me is the avatar not being fully to the left of the header. Also I would move the text up from the bottom of the header about 2 or 3 pixels, at least to get the User Name link to be clearly shown. The last thing is also the + and - maybe simply put a | (not an i) between them or something to define their usage a bit more. (though this is pretty minor.. lol)

http://www.ts-studios.com/images/cgo_3.jpg

Fourth image is a major one. 1) Should there be that much space? 2) The border to the actual box to type in is so light that I had to guess where it was when I was using my girlfriends laptop 3)I think the graphics are broken on these buttons 4) Again just more things blending in together

http://www.ts-studios.com/images/cgo_4.jpg

Fifth image is simple, the URL box is way too short to be usefull. I would extend its width substantially, and put a space in between the url box and the continue button.

http://www.ts-studios.com/images/cgo_5.jpg

Sixth image deals with more blending in, though firstly I think "article details" should be capitalized. The input boxes should also be clearly defined and widened in my opinion as for easy reference to what you have type so far.

http://www.ts-studios.com/images/cgo_6.jpg

Seventh image is a bit more complicated. Firstly broken graphic at the top. 1) Should the check box be so far from the actual option description? 2) the "No HTML tags allowed should be shifted down like in the description section 3) Having such a small number like 125, then a large space and then "characters left" looks odd. And lastly, broken graphic at the bottom. (oh and the big bage part... no clue how that happened was working fine on girlfriends laptop.

http://www.ts-studios.com/images/cgo_7.jpg

So ya, I am sorry if this seems like a lot of nit picking, but I think it is all the small design choices that go in to a site that make up the whole. I am not saying the design is bad, far from it, but for me at least there are a lot of little things I would change. The main one being I would probably darken the background a few shades to define the forground elements a bit more.

I am not master with colors but everything blends in too much (at least on the two computers I used the site on, one lcd one crt) and it is hard to tell where you are supposed to type, or where you CAN type because of this.

As I said before, I am being this hard because I see so much potential. I just wish anyone else from CG Talk would give their opinions as I feel like a dick saying all this, maybe it really is just me and my two computers, or maybe I have poor design style (which I would like to think I don't) who knows.

Hopefully you take something from all this. Keep up the fantastic hard work bro!

EDIT: Also, just to be clear I showed the site to a buddy of mine that does graphic design work and he was the total opposite of me. He thought things were clearly defined and liked the lightness of it all.

So go figure :D

archerx
09-05-2007, 11:10 PM
What do published votes mean though? Is it the amount of votes cast on actual published articles? Or the amount of votes I placed to "make" an article 'published' ?

thanks!

Published votes = How many stories that were in the upcoming that you voted and got published

Whoa! Major post there dude :) we're working on those cosmetic issues. The sorting is now fixed so when you click, it should organize everything properly now.

Many thanks for the help man!

archerx
09-06-2007, 01:30 AM
CGocracy Guide!

Welcome to the mini CGocracy tutorial Here we'll show you everything you need to start having fun!

Well the Idea of CGocracy is that people submit news articles or any links they find interesting and relevant to the site to share with other people. Once the link is submitted, everyone else can vote for the story or bury it. When a story in the "Upcoming" section has enough votes it gets promoted to the "Front Page" where it will get more exposure

So now I'll explain the system

http://cgocracy.com/tut/cgoctutimage.jpg

>>> This is the "Vote" button, click on it if you'd like to vote for a story you like. Watch as the number goes up. Once it has enough votes the story will get promoted to the front page, but if a story is to old it loses it's ability to get promoted.

>>> Here we have the "Bury" button, normally if you don't like a story you just don't bother voting on it. In some special cases where the story is spam, useless, not related to cg, offensive or any other thing where you nor others should see it, then you should bury it. Once enough users compared to to the number of votes have buried the story, it shall be discarded and removed from the site.

>>> You liked the story and now you wanna talk about it? well just click "Discuss" and interact with the other users in the community and share your opinion and make friends!.

>>> So you liked the story so much you just need to tell a friend, well we have a "Tell a friend" system where it will email the link to your friend with out having to go to your email client, how nice is that? (very nice!)

>>> There are many more wonderful features like "Live" where you can see whats going on in realtime, "Tag cloud" where you can see which are the most popular tags in cloud format and "Top users" to see which users are contributing the most. Just check them out and have fun!

Welcome to the community!

Geta-Ve
09-17-2007, 04:49 AM
Hey I just went to the site and it seems it got hacked!!

archerx
09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up, stupid script kiddies, it should be back up again in an hour!:banghead:

Ok we're back in action!

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.