PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry and prince of Persia released for free

Ollarin
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Just a heads up guys, Ubisoft released some of their games for free.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48759

MiGa
09-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Have you tried them yet?
I found somewhere that you need an UBISoft account and have to be living in the US. Are they checking IPs? Can anyone confirm this?

mech7
09-03-2007, 01:04 PM
saupposedly they are adware now :)

Ollarin
09-03-2007, 01:55 PM
It's still downloading for me. So, no, I haven't tried it yet. :(

Where does it say that you need to live in the U.S? It didnt ask me while i was downloading it.

Hmmmmmm
09-03-2007, 02:13 PM
ads in the game or some kind of other ad spyware thing that I DO NOT want on my comp?

MiGa
09-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't know if the ads in the game are just images or if there is some kind of spyware involved. Don't know if there is an internet connection needed to play the games.

http://www.gamershell.com/news/41341.html
You will need an Ubi.com account and you must live in the U.S. to play the game

ajcgi
09-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Im in the UK but I'll give it a bash with a US ubi account. Just go www.ubi.com/us/ to register rather than www.ubi.com as that will automatically forward you to a local site, in my case the uk one.
They may look at ip but heck lets see :shrug:

MiGa
09-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks! I will try that.

JamesMK
09-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Just tried GhostRecon. Set up a US UBI account. Launched the installer. Entered my UBI account name and password:

"Sorry, you must live in the U.S. to play this title."

So, yep, they sure seem to be checking IP.

Poop.

Ollarin
09-03-2007, 04:11 PM
For the love of god...That really sucks. (No offense to people in the U.S )

*Sighs* Now I'll just cancel the downloads. That really sucks, I've not played Far Cry before, thought this could be my chance.

gent_k
09-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Wouldn't want our underprivileged American friends to miss on games just because of financial constraints. Glad they got their priorities straight. :)

cookepuss
09-03-2007, 04:45 PM
How DARE you!!! You have no idea how we Americans suffer on a daily basis. Some of us only subsist on the cheapest caviars and wines. You know nothing of struggle. When I was a kid, my butler had to carry me 5 miles to school every day. Sometimes through the snow even. (What was his name again? Ah.... Nope. Whatever.)

Now, if you don't mind, I'll be grabbing my stack of $50s and going to the bathroom. (Where did I put that first edition of the "Catcher in the Rye?" I need something light to read in "the office.")

Some people! Hrmph! ;)

UrbanFuturistic
09-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm confused as to exactly how Raving Rabbids would work on anything other than a Wii, I saw the PC version for 5 in one shop and I still didn't get it.

I suppose this is some kind of test on how advergames will do with low-risk products that have already sold all they're going to sell. Beginning of the end, I tell you.

cookepuss
09-03-2007, 05:50 PM
I downloaded it this morning. I've been busy working though. I'll try it tonight and let you know.

ajcgi
09-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Just tried GhostRecon. Set up a US UBI account. Launched the installer. Entered my UBI account name and password:

Poop.

Daaaaamnn... well I am about 71% through my farcry download now. It's picked up speed so roughly an hour to go. I'm gonna see if I get the same error. Daft thing is Farcry used to be in the bargain bin at blockbuster and every time i went in i'd be like "Wooo... I'll buy that in a few days" Really, really should've got it. If this doesn't work I may Amazon it. ;)
ps Damn yankies, especially those with baths and butlers...

SoLiTuDe
09-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Perhaps you out of towners could look into connecting through a proxy???

Tirido
09-03-2007, 08:25 PM
You don't need to live in US. I downloaded FarCry then created an account at ubi.com . In account creation, just select your country as US. After that enter your user name and password to installer. Installer checks your info than says thanks. That's it, free FarCry :) I played a few minutes, the advertisements were only at main menu.
But maybe this does't work if your country has a local ubi site, i don't know.

mushroomgod
09-03-2007, 08:27 PM
FARCRY worked for me....im in the UK.

Not only is it a great game, but I also have a strange craving got a bigmac :)

DMJ
09-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Farcry, nice game, bought it years ago already as a 5 cdrom set.
I've seen the "Big Snack" ads in the screenshots of the opening menu and suh, and it would be a turn off for me. It would probably a better idea to build a "real" snackhouse in the game as a spoof.
Also, i'm on a slow connection and i'm not going to download over 2 gb of data when i can grab farcry on a dvd from the bargain bin at the local shop for 5 euros.

ajcgi
09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
aha! Works fine and dandy. Changed my UK account to US and it was happy as larry. Yeah... time to hide in bushes...

darcbark
09-03-2007, 09:10 PM
If you replace the skin in farcry the ads disappear.

DrFx
09-04-2007, 08:58 AM
It's amazing they're giving farcry away like that. I got it a year ago, it came with a $5.00 gaming magazine. It's an absolutely amazing game, if you're into 1st person shooters, definetly AAA+ for it's time!

scrimski
09-04-2007, 09:02 AM

Poop.
Works fine her.

switchblade327
09-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Wouldn't want our underprivileged American friends to miss on games just because of financial constraints. Glad they got their priorities straight. :)

Don't mistake advertising for a charity. If there is one thing that needs to be localized in a game, it's advertising. So I can't really blame any companies, American or otherwise for not wanting to fund adver-gaming in markets where they don't sell any product. Besides, American commercials suck.

I'd gladly pay the $5-10 bargain bin price to play either of these great but old games without having anyone trying to sell me crap in the middle of it.

bRyaN2003
09-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Do you guys happen to know how long this will lasting for?

DoubleSupercool
09-06-2007, 10:54 AM
:(

PoP runs like a dog on my new dual core with 880GTS. Waaay to fast, very choppy animation and doesn't recognise my gamepad. Apparently it has issues with dual core machines and frankly I couldn't be bothered spending hours troubleshooting a free game. If anyone has an ideas, feel free to PM before I uninstall . . .

mccg
09-07-2007, 10:13 AM
i changed to the US at ubi.com, but it still doesnt let me install it, any suggestions?

FunkyCowie
09-07-2007, 06:29 PM
i changed to the US at ubi.com, but it still doesnt let me install it, any suggestions?

create a new account pretending your from the US?

nuclearfessel
09-07-2007, 10:18 PM
I am in Seattle and did choose US and it still won't let me install. WTF?

mccg
09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
It's a bit odd, a mate over here had no trouble at all. I can't get it to work, changing the country in profil doesn't work, because of IP.
Anyway, monday is team fortress2 available :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.