PDA

View Full Version : fryrender demo out

Sphere♥
09-02-2007, 02:55 PM
They recently released a demo version of fryrender vBeta1.8 (http://www.fryrender.com/). Anyone tried it, opinions? Is it worth downloading, setting up and testing? Any general or DRM issues with the demo? Care to share Maya-fryed demo image results?

vancliff
09-07-2007, 08:58 PM
i tested with some of my scenes and found that in exteriors maxwell is faster but in interiors it does faster and less grainy.

I also see that the interface have more tools than maxwell have but they are a little frightening to use.

Sphere♥
09-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback, faster and less grainy interiors... is that because you used fry's "portal" feature? Complex interface, eh? hmmm... oh, I should just try it myself, right.

JayHoo
09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Any new results. Maybe I am going to use it in my diploma thesis.

Jozvex
09-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm really biased obviously because I'm on the Maxwell testing team so not much would 'convert' me to Fryrender but I gave it a go anyway.

I think it has some cool bits to it like how the material preview gets progressively refined until you stop it, and some other little things but the Maya integration is in my opinion *much* less seamless than Maxwell's. Also I completely agree with vancliff, the sheer amount of 'stuff' in the interface is very daunting. I'm sure it's useful stuff but dang there's a ton of it all over the place and it's all bright retro ZBrush2-esque buttons with no tooltips. :scream:

I did some comparison renders with Fry VS Maxwell and the Fry ones came out really colour saturated but I might be doing something wrong.

:shrug:

Sphere♥
09-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks Jozvex for your feedback. So being a Maxwell tester I guess things like Fry's displacement and, er, what else? exit portals? SSSSS?! :D are no longer advantages over Maxwell?

I'm dying to see RC4, Fry's real-time engine in action. Heck even if it's just some sort of full scene bake on par with the renders and a fixed scene walk through I'll be impressed... but I'll probably be disapointed still expecting too much.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2007, 05:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.