PDA

View Full Version : color balance like in AE ?

relief7
09-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi ! sorry if this question might sound a little bit stupid... I come from AE and recently had a look into Fusion a little bit at a colleague's machine. My question: is there something similar as the Color Balance Tool of After Effects in Digital Fusion ? I am a little bit overwhelmed by the Color Correction Tool and I do not get the exact look I want. Or how do you usually proceed to create this "unique film look". I found that by tweaking the color balance with some hue/saturation or levels in After Effects it always worked.

Thanks for any input !
r7

Tagger
09-02-2007, 02:15 PM
the CC tool in Fusion does exacly the same thing. If i'm not mistaking the color balance tool in AE is just a list of RGB channels in shadow-midtone-highlight subdivision. Fusion's colorcorrectiontool let's you pick your Shadow-Midtone-Highlight at the top of the options and then let's you adjust the gain, contrast, gamma and brightness of the RG and/or B at the bottom

relief7
09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey Tagger, thanks for your quick reply. It seems to work even not quite the same but at least similar to the After effects tool. Do you know if there is a definition about the terms "gain", "contrast", "gamma" and "brightness" and their effect on the color values somewhere ? I have no feeling at all what they are changing and admittedly, I have not read the manual yet... Just played around a bit on this other machine at work... Especially about "gain" I have no idea what it is but you can find it a lot in the color correction tool.

Tagger
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
brightness: adds to your current colour (.2 +.1 = .3 and .4 + .1 = .5)
contrast: crushes the blacks and whites closer toghetter (increasing the contrast)
gain: multiplies the colour (blacks increase slow, whites increases fast => value of .2*2 is smaller then .5*2 for instance)
Gamma: non lineair transformation of the midtones

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.