PDA

View Full Version : Help! Maya 8.5 Render Layer Problem

monotoon
09-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Hi,

does anybody know why just the first pictures render when i batch render in render Layers in maya 8.5?
I got 6 layers to render, most of them i want to render with mental ray. Now when i batch render, the first frames of the layers are ok but every picture after that are black! Also Maya seems to render everything twice, so rendertime gets double too!

In Renderview everything is fine on every frame i testrender!

I donīt know what to do and iīm going crazy cause deadline is coming closer...

avinashlobo
09-02-2007, 07:38 AM
There is a bug with 8.5 render layers. Download and install the Service Pack and things should be fine.

monotoon
09-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanx a lot Avinash Lobo for the quick replie!

I downloaded the Service Pack and now i render a test sequence. Itīs not done yet but what i can see right now that Maya renders still just the first frame of all layers except one layer. The one that is on top of all layers. That works, the other layers donīt!:(
I donīt know. Do i make a mistake or something....?

avinashlobo
09-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Hmm.. That's weird. Could you post your scene so we could take a look at the settings?

monotoon
09-02-2007, 09:27 AM
i figured out that i have to uninstall Maya before installation of the Service Pack! I didnīt read the message carefully....Thatīs what i do right now. Maybe thatīs it. Thanks for the help again! I replie if it works!

monotoon
09-02-2007, 09:46 AM
It works!!!

Man, thank you so much! You safed me for throwing my computer out of the window! I was almost there. You are my hero of the day!

Thanx a lot!

DecWest
09-04-2007, 05:02 PM
There is a bug with 8.5 render layers. Download and install the Service Pack and things should be fine.

Hi guys,

Sorry to jack the thread! What Render Layer bugs are currently wrong with 8.5 . I'm hitting a major deadline, its all render layers and referenced files so I am expecting headaches and crashing (!)

I am ready to install the Service Pack but cant really risk screwing up my scenes/data/Maya, is it worth doing? (I know all Service packs are worht doing but they are sometimes NOT worth doing i.e. Windows...)

monotoon
09-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Hi DecWest,

i figured out, as i wrote before that just the first image of a sequenze (on every layer) render as it should. Aspecially with mental ray. Also, on a batch rendering mental ray renders all images a view times. So it takes a long time for nothing. I had problems with surface shaders too. Everytime i assign one surface shader on a model my Maya app crashed.

After the installation of the Service pack everything works fine! I would save the important files for the projekt, uninstall maya and install the Service Pack! Uninstallation of maya donīt delete your scene files/ preferences by the way.

I spent a whole day to figure out whatīs wrong before Avinash Lobo mentioned the Service Pack.

Nice regards!

avinashlobo
09-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry to jack the thread! What Render Layer bugs are currently wrong with 8.5 . I'm hitting a major deadline, its all render layers and referenced files so I am expecting headaches and crashing (!)

I am ready to install the Service Pack but cant really risk screwing up my scenes/data/Maya, is it worth doing? (I know all Service packs are worht doing but they are sometimes NOT worth doing i.e. Windows...)The Service Pack is definitely a step up. It doesn't fix everything, but now there's less closing-eyes-and-hoping-for-the-best type situations. And I wouldn't say Render Layers are buggy in 8.5. They're just plain broken. Apart from organizing your scene into layers, they don't do much else right (like uh..rendering layers).

As a side note to DecWest, you should be very careful when using Render Layers in a heavy scene, becaue I've noticed that Maya has a terribly nasty bug where it'll randomly kill the material assignment to an object on a render layer. This can happen by doing something as simple as switching to that layer. I've been forced to be ultra-careful and manually split the scenes up at times because that damn bug spat out a lot of junk renders.

And do not rely on the Render Window as a guarantee of a clean Batch Render. They tend to have minds of their own. Always, always check the output of the first frame(s) of the Batch Render before you leave it overnight or worse, over the weekend.

alexx
09-06-2007, 11:35 AM
there are 2 problem i currently know about the render layers:

1) if you start your batch render from the maya GUI the rendering fails.
workaround: dont start from maya GUI, but run a command line render yourself

2) shader assignments lost
reason: that usually happens if you have more than one shader on a poly objects different faces.
they fixed that a slight bit since 8.5 but at least in 8.50 it is still not reliable (dont know about SP1)
workaround: save in a different scene.

cheers

alexx

mr Bob
09-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Render layers will also fall over if there are objects with the same name under groups.

b

alexx
09-06-2007, 01:01 PM
oh render layers are by far not the only module in maya which can have problems with that... :/

cheers

bigal

ruddiger52
09-07-2007, 10:13 PM
i wish render layers worked properly. I have run into all of the problems listed above. Im surprised autodesk has not addressed this issue more completely.

well maybe not too surprised

alexx
09-07-2007, 10:56 PM
if only that would be the only issue in the current maya version i would be quite happy :)

at least for the render layers there are known workarounds

lets hope 2008 fixes a lot.

cheers

bigal

avinashlobo
09-09-2007, 03:59 PM
there are 2 problem i currently know about the render layers:

1) if you start your batch render from the maya GUI the rendering fails.
workaround: dont start from maya GUI, but run a command line render yourself

2) shader assignments lost
reason: that usually happens if you have more than one shader on a poly objects different faces.
they fixed that a slight bit since 8.5 but at least in 8.50 it is still not reliable (dont know about SP1)
workaround: save in a different scene.

cheers

alexxHi Alexx. #1 is fixed in 8.5 SP1. Unfortunately, #2 persists. Also, for me it seems to happen even when I've not assigned multiple materials to a single object. It seems to happen more often when using surface shaders in other layers for setting up mattes. Then switching back to the beauty layer randomly disconnects the shader assignment. Like you said, the only workaround I've found that's reliable so far is to save different scenes.

mr Bob
09-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Heres another never use surface shaders they also break render layers , use a lambert shader with all values set to zero ...Mental ray shaders not giving the correct alpha dag them onto aanother shading nework to get that alpha working
and just for good measure never hit save unless your on your master layer as when you try and start up a scene you can get errors and breaking layers

renders layers what a joke .........

B

DecWest
09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Heres another never use surface shaders they also break render layers , use a lambert shader with all values set to zero ...
renders layers what a joke .........

B

SURFACE SHADERS!That explains why I have just lost a full weekend of rendering! I am using TURTLE's Motion Vector Node on Surface shaders to spit out a motion vector pass! Every time I have tried to render out my scene it crashes! I have also lost lots of data via broken shader connections (some objects are set to a generic wireframe material WTF!)

I will try the lambert shader (thanks) and do it the hard way with lots of scenes :(!

I thought the idea behind Render Layers was to avoid lots of individual scenes for each of the respective passes! A joke indeed!

mr Bob
09-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Oh and another , hit a layer render attributes button to access the render settings for the layer , if its blank , which often happens , dont do a thing just close maya and restart , plus often you will find you have a scene open and you want to open another instead , dont bother that render button will be blank 50% of the time so you will again have to shut down the scene.
Maybe Autodesk should make a manual of workrounds seeing as they cannot be bothered to fix broken features ...

B

alexx
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
they try to fix the render layer issues, since they invented them indeed. at least they told me so after my bug reports.

its a pitty that such a damn cool feature (and it really is as long as it is working) is so buggy.

nevertheless: i use it nearly all the time and for most scenes it works for me..

but the tip: "save under a different name before you create render layers" is absolutely a definite and never forget MUST.. once the assignments are broken you go nuts before you have them back working..

cheers

alex

yenvalmar
09-11-2007, 01:16 AM
"A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do." — Greer's Third Law.

honestly in the case of render layers this law is broken. it ****ing well does NOT do wha ti tell it. somebody call the karma police.

alexx
09-11-2007, 08:42 AM
^^

karma police.. like that too

dreamlights
07-28-2008, 11:38 AM
hi friends..
Like u guys, always i have been facing a problem of LINK BREAKING of shaders when the RENDER layers are switched.... Its jst not whn shaders like (Surface Shader or UseBackground) are assigned to any objects in any of the render layers but most of the time whn there is simple netowrk of shaders assigend to a geometry,even if i swap the layers the shader goes off and i jst see the wiremesh in the Layers....

I observed that,by removing (LOCKNODEs) this problem gets solved at times, but not always.... Also by removing unused nodes and shaders frm Hypershade this prob. gets solved.
But truely speaking, there has been no Thorough/clear solution found yet..

please help finding a solution for this problem.....

With Regards,
dreamlights

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2008, 11:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.