PDA

View Full Version : Follow motion path with aim vector??

Kinematics
09-02-2007, 04:21 AM
Hey guys Im trying to animate a snake crawl up a leg. I posted in the main maya forum off my solution but im really curious if thats the only way. What I am wondering is that is there a way where I can have a cylinder with follow "motion path function". Basically with deformers guiding it up.

But can I somehow duplicate, offset another path and use that as the Y aim for the cylinder so that I can guide the cylinder (snake in this case) up the leg in the correct angles that I would need?

Ive tried IK Spline but the twist controllers seem a lil harder to ctrl then id like. Any ideas or maybe im missing something out to gain better control over my IK spline twists?

Thanks guys, you guys are always a big help!

thematt
09-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Ok I'm gonna shoot something that is untested ok, but maybe you could offest the curve (there is an offset fonction for the curve) then duplicate the spine (all the bone of the snake) and have this dup spine travel on the offest curves atthe same speed at the first one, should be easily done since it will cover the entire lenght at a different speed to match the start and end point of the curve.
Then I would say just use a aim constraint and use the dup spine as the up vector of the snake spine.
not sure I'm clear but hope it helps.

cheers

republicavfx
09-06-2007, 12:08 AM
use flow path object instead of dynamic splines and u get control of rotation. of course u lose your control with bones but u get more control over the deformation

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2007, 12:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.