PDA

View Full Version : EI/Hash Combo

3DArtZ
04-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Hey Guys, I've posted a few tests I've done combining Hash Character work and
Electric Image backgrounds.
I wanted to be able to seemlessly combine the two so that I could capitalize on the benefits of
both packages.
Here is my latest test, this time moving the character through the environment.
Sorenson3, 2.8mbs
http://www.3dartz.com/WIPS/HallJog.mov
The progression of the shots
1st
http://www.3dartz.com/WIPS/FrntA1.mov
2nd
http://members.aol.com/myfitz/JogComp.mov
final(same link as above)
http://www.3dartz.com/WIPS/HallJog.mov
thanks
Mike Fitz

alfiebabes
04-02-2003, 03:48 PM
I'm guessing EI rendered the background and AM the character. Now...
1) which app did the reflection come from?
2) was that front - projection mapping
3) Have you tried other apps for the camera motion swapping that you started here before?

I have Cinema4D and the renderer is perfect for churning out backgrounds. (Also have EI but I never upgraded to OS8.6) What you're doing here is inspiring.:beer:

koon69
04-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Ditto very inspiring! :> I love AM and EI and want to use both together like Keth Lango did. I know of several other people want to read more. Some use EI others C4d and Rhino. I guess this method can be used with any other app. Of course we all want the very talented 3d artz to write a tutorial!

modernhorse
04-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Hey 3DArtz -
Could I possibly bother you to do an .avi of the tests? I'm at work and my machine doesn't like quicktime.

Thanks.

gra4mac
04-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Nice work Mike. I too would like to see how this was done. Also, I take it from the wireframe that you had a rough model of the halll in A:M to get the stride and timing right. I'm wondering how muuch time you are saving by using both A:Mand EI. Keep up the great work.

PS I just realized you can shoot footage of the hall in EI, and import that into A:M as a roto to do the CA running and jumping.

Cheers, Graham

3DArtZ
04-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for getting back to me.
Let me ans. the questions about this...
All the animtion takes place in hash. I render everything that has to do with the character in hash.
The color, reflections and shadows of the 3d character with alpha channels(created by making all the objects either pure white or black. I then use photoshop actions to automate the insertion of the black/white channel into the color/reflection frames.)
Now the color and reflection are done in the same file. The alpha channel of that file represents the areas that you can't see the character or it's reflection. Like right before he jumps, the portal way hides part of his feet. That information is in the alpha channel.
The shadow layer is black and the alpha containes the info that shows were the shadow falls.
Being that EI and hash have identical scene's, I just have to animate in hash, render what I want and then composite over EI as a front projection map.
There are many other little things involved in doing this. Like you have to find out what FOV in EI matches the hash camera. It is 36 fov and 35mm full aperture lens that matches hash the best(inv8.5). The next issue is getting camera data from hash. I use a utility I wrote to take the camera data from an action file, then the utility does some math on the xyz trans and rotation values. Here is the big issue with doing a tutorial. The app can't be used by the public cause I have not completed it. I run the numbers through it, do the math, but then I have to go into the file and manually change things cause it still buggy and I have not had the time to finish it. The reason why this is important is because EI's world orientatioin has revesed Z coordinates.(what is the world orientation for CD4, if it is the same as hash, then you don't need the utility for the cam. data.).
Anyhow, once you have the cam data, you load it into EI, load your rotos if you don't want to post process it and render it out.
This is the best I can do know on the info. But someone let me know what the orientation of cd4 is.
Thanks
Mike Fitz

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.