PDA

View Full Version : DAZ 3DTM Releases Carrara 6 “The Next Dimension in 3D Art”

RingoM
09-01-2007, 05:56 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

http://www.daz3d.com/css/daz/images/logo.pngAugust 30, 2007

DAZ 3DTM Releases Carrara 6 “The Next Dimension in 3D Art”

Version 6 proves Carrara will be in every 3D artist’s suite of tools for years to come

DRAPER, Utah – August 30, 2007 – DAZ 3D (http://www.daz3d.com/), Inc., a leading developer of professional quality 3D models and software, announced today the release Carrara 6, the latest version of their popular 3D modeling, animation, and rendering application. Version 6 allows users to choose from an unprecedented array of tools while exploring new dimensions in 3D creation. Carrara 6 provides 3D figure posing and animation, modeling, environment creation, and rendering tools within a single application. Robust, advanced, and easy to use, Carrara 6 is recognized as the complete, all-in-one 3D solution for digital content creators in many industries including magazine, comic book, newspaper, TV and film, and more.

“I think that users will be amazed when they see what Carrara 6 will do for them,” stated Chris Creek, executive vice-president of DAZ 3D, Inc. “Now that the entire DAZ 3D library of content is compatible with Carrara’s advanced features, 3D artists everywhere will discover a whole new dimension of possibilities.”

Historically, Carrara has been known for its broad set of 3D tools including modeling, rigging, animating, terrain-building, and rendering. With the aforementioned addition of the full support for its huge content library, as well as other major features, DAZ 3D believes Carrara 6 is taking a quantum leap forward from its previous versions.

“Carrara 6 fills what has been a long-time void in the 3D industry,” says Dan Farr, president of DAZ 3D, Inc. “Never before has there existed a single solution for realistic figure posing and animation combined with modeling, terrain-building, physics, and advanced rendering that was readily compatible with such a large array of 3D assets.”

The extensive support for DAZ 3D content includes handling of morph targets, the conversion of Surface Materials and Rigging, as well as support for Enhanced Remote Control (ERC), which allows users control over multiple translation and transform dials simultaneously.

Notable upgrades include Non-linear Animation, giving users the ability to create clips of animation that can be reused and combined on multiple tracks of animation; Dynamic Hair that allows artists to style, cut, and brush the hair; Displacement Modeling where the user can paint detail on a model using free-form brush tools; Symmetrical Modeling that allows content creators to edit both sides of a symmetrical object at the same time using a variety of editing tools; and In-Scattering of light, which when combined with the new Ocean primitive provides incredibly real water surface and wave simulation.

Pricing and Availability

Carrara 6 Pro is available for sale on the DAZ 3D website with a special introductory discount being offered to customers. Carrara 6 Pro has an MSRP of $549. The standard edition of Carrara 6, soon to be released, will have a MSRP of $249.

About DAZ 3DTM

Founded in 2000, DAZ 3D, Inc, a privately-held company located in Draper, Utah, is a market leader in 3D software and digital content creation. The company’s model library is renowned for its high-quality 3D content at the industry’s most competitive prices. DAZ 3D also develops powerful software applications that support its content, including Bryce®, a 3D environment and animation package; Carrara™, a complete 3D modeling, animation and rendering solution; DAZ Studio™, a free 3D digital art creation tool; Hexagon™, polygonal modeling software for the creation of ‘ready-to-render’ 3D models; and Mimic™, a lip-synching application. For more information, visit www.DAZ3D.com (http://www.DAZ3D.com).

© 2007 DAZ 3D, Inc. All rights reserved. DAZ and the DAZ 3D logo is a Registered Trademark of DAZ Productions, Inc. All other brand names, product names, service marks or trademarks belong to their respective holders.

For more information, press only:

DAZ 3D, Inc.

Steve Kondris, (801) 495-1777

steve@daz3d.com

Reader contact:

DAZ 3D, Inc.

12637 S 265 W

Suite 300

Draper, Utah 84020

(800) 267-5170 (Toll free)

(801) 495-1777

(801) 495-1787 (Fax)

www.DAZ3D.com (http://www.daz3d.com/)

R10k
09-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Sorry, but as much as I personally like Carrara, the whole "Next Dimension in 3D Art" tagline really does sound ridiculous. I really dislike stupid marketing lingo that many companies try and prop up their programs with, and the latest Daz/Carrara stuff is enough to make me feel embarrassed to be a Carrara user. Also, the tagline stinks. It makes it sound like the program itself is the next dimension in 3D art... as if the splash screen is uber amazing, or the Opengl display is incredible to look at.

Let the program speak for itself, and quit trying to come up with lame taglines... please. I'd like to see Carrara taken seriously one day by some fellow 3D artists, but the way it's being marketed at the moment, I doubt they ever will.

grrinc
09-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Hmmm. Carrera was my first serious-ish app after my Poser and Bryce days so I do have a soft spot for it. However, those are some pretty far fetched claims there I reckon. It may work on some of the Poser forums, but here, well.... I think people may find them a touch laughable. Not dissing the app by the way.

ultramedia
09-01-2007, 09:52 PM
a trial version would be nice...

GQ1
09-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I for one see nothing wrong with the tag line.

And on a brighter note, their hair tool set look to be very nice and useful.

Rezonance
09-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Carrara is a great little app. I am a user of 5 and version 6 looks like it has some great features too it. The hair looks good and so do the new animation tools and shader features.

The marketing is a bit off, almost like they are claiming that it has stuff that no other application has, which just is not the case. It's real strengths are it's simplicity, reasonably robust implementations of some advanced features, its very friendly price and just being plain fun to use (most of the time!). These are much more appealing unique selling points then claiming that it is the "next dimension in 3D art".

For anyone looking for a decent renderer with good all round capabilites (whilst still being on a budget) Carrara is worth checking out.

Per-Anders
09-02-2007, 06:07 PM
lmao @ comparison chart. Man, you'd have thought their marketing would be able to do better than blatantly make stuff up about the higher end software they're trying to compare themselves with, well researched DAZ... not. Stuff like that doesn't sit too well on a site like this.

macsupremacist
09-02-2007, 06:39 PM
lmao @ comparison chart. Man, you'd have thought their marketing would be able to do better than blatantly make stuff up about the higher end software they're trying to compare themselves with, well researched DAZ... not. Stuff like that doesn't sit too well on a site like this.

I have to agree... like it says Cinema 4D 10 doesn't do clouds, skys, booleans, caustics, raytracing, lens flares.... I don't know about them but my version does that.

Srek
09-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I have to agree... like it says Cinema 4D 10 doesn't do clouds, skys,
Thats actualy correct since they compare only the base version of CINEMA 4D without any modules. Volumetric clouds and sky simulation is included in AR.
Cheers
Björn

Xtrude
09-02-2007, 11:37 PM
thanks srek, for pointing that out

it' all good eh... try it, give your opinion, move on, or like some things and make use of some tools, or produce your own movie with it... fun experimenting is for sure, and attempting to fine tune the fx to realize or not, what you were looking for, is minimal before suggestting anything further about this apps capabilities... I have always found Carrara to be clunky in some areas, and aged in some approaches... but reading through the featues, and liking the good things I like about building scenes and rendering quality with the previous Carrara, yea I can hardly wait to play with this new release :)

It's just digital fun eh... and really, beyond so many un utilized features of so many apps, there lay an artist... from toon to fantasy , from wire to final renders... and... maybe the art work might not be so complicated, but you might just like something about it because of this, or it might just be jaw dropping full in depth, perspective and detail... but rest assured, the toolset was but one factor in the creation of it all, and utilized the slower processors of the two types, hopefully ;) :D

rui_mac
09-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Thats actualy correct since they compare only the base version of CINEMA 4D without any modules. Volumetric clouds and sky simulation is included in AR.
Cheers
Björn

Well, but they are comparing the base version of Cinema 4D with the Pro version of Carrara. So, if they want to compare Carrara with the base version of Cinema 4D, they should do so with Carrara Standard.
They are simply lying and I already send them an e-mail telling them that.

Rui Batista

archerx
09-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, but they are comparing the base version of Cinema 4D with the Pro version of Carrara. So, if they want to compare Carrara with the base version of Cinema 4D, they should do so with Carrara Standard.
They are simply lying and I already send them an e-mail telling them that.

Rui Batista

I think they're comparing price range, that seems fair to me.

Per-Anders
09-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I think they're comparing price range, that seems fair to me.

Only if their facts are actually correct, sadly thought they're not, even compared against the base version the checklist is wrong.

grrinc
09-03-2007, 10:54 PM
SEND FOR RINGO!!

CIM
09-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Only if their facts are actually correct, sadly thought they're not, even compared against the base version the checklist is wrong.

There's a disclaimer saying they didn't try to get it right. ;)

Flog
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
DAZ really sucks at showing off a product. They always give such minimal information. New.. Hair, wow! And that is all we end up gettting.

We want to see the hair flow. Show us a video or something. Those old Carrara in action videos suck, they are old.

Show us something new. I want to see what it can do, not what it used to do. I want to see a video of the hair.

Show off your product! Don't just show a few little pictures of nothing.

L33tace
09-04-2007, 10:03 PM
/sneaks in, leaves Flog a link to a previous thread and to youtube videos
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=526661
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=WWWDAZ3DCOM

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2007, 10:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.