PDA

View Full Version : fur problems

lagavulin
04-02-2003, 11:59 AM
hi all.

Im having problems with rendering fur on an animated character. The fur flickers and differs from frame to frame. I'm pretty sure this is caused by some kind of equalizer-map-problem, but im not able to solve it. Does anyone have any experience with maya fur and character animation? I've generated an equalizer-map (iff-file) from "advanced fur rendering", but it wont generate equalizer-files for the entire sequence. Isnt it supposed to?
It just generates one tmp_equalizer-map and then halts. Am i missing something here? Any ideas?

/nordis

Signal2Noise
04-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Hi lagavulin. I don't have an answer to your problem. I was browsing the forums and came across your avatar name. Just wanted to let you know it's my favorite scotch, too!

:beer:

lagavulin
04-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Hehe.
I can tell you're a man of good taste StN. I'll send you a bottle of 15-yrs old if you'll give me an answer to my problem.

:beer: :beer:

chk
04-02-2003, 08:55 PM
a bottle of lagavulin for the answer. Jeez. I wish knew something about fur. Someone help this guy and claim the prize!

esquella
04-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Select read equalizer maps in fur render options section in fur globals

kamil_w
04-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Which geo type do you use?

Nurbs or poly?

GrafOrlok
04-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Since Lagavulin has been very busy trying to get that fur to render properly, he hasn't followed this thread up. And since I work on the same project as he is, and by the way think CGtalk is a great database for CG-knowlege, I might as well tell you guys how we solved it.

We where using a poly-proxy model for animation and had the fur attached to the smoothed version. The fur flickered because of the polysmooth-node still being in the history. To fix this we deleted history from the smoothed version and used a wrap deformer instead. This made things much slower and RAM peaked at over a GB, but it worked...
:bounce:

Edit: typos

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.