PDA

View Full Version : Using two environments

LukaStellwag
08-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey folks,
I have a job which need to be finished by tomorrow.

I am using Mental Ray and Maya 8.5 and I selected Image Based Lighting with a HDR in the Mental Ray settings tab. Well, thats great, I have nice reflections and refractions. But I don't want that HDR to appear in the background. In CINEMA 4D I was able to use two environments with a compositing tag. So I made sure that the first environment, with the HDR on it, was only used for reflection, refraction and lighting and the other environment was only seen by the camera, replacing that ugly HDR background.

I appreciate every single posting ... Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Luka

Olegr
08-31-2007, 02:52 PM
In your IBL node uncheck primary visibilty (render stats). It will now be visible in your reflections, but not background.

LukaStellwag
08-31-2007, 03:06 PM
okay, great, thanks for your quick reply. Works great.

I copied that whole thing and put the other image in the channel and checked only "Primary Visibility" and "Visible as Environment".

But nothing changes, the background is still black.

Thanks,
Luka

Buddah
09-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I dont think its possible to get that working. Instead delete your new copy. Make a sphere, map it with a surface shader or what ever you want. Uncheck everything except primary visibility.. This should give you a nice background..

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2007, 12:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.