PDA

View Full Version : phong hell: no angle limit on .obj

Kanga
08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Damn!
Imported geometry (with and without smooth groups) the angle limit for the phong tag isnt working no matter what combos I try. This sucks bad. Angle limit works for native polys but not my imported .obj Web rescearch shows only problems with other render engines.

Is there a workaround for this?
My model is looking like freakin playdo! Crap

All info appreciated.
Cheerio Chris

moka.studio
08-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Damn!
Imported geometry (with and without smooth groups) the angle limit for the phong tag isnt working no matter what combos I try. This sucks bad. Angle limit works for native polys but not my imported .obj Web rescearch shows only problems with other render engines.

Is there a workaround for this?
My model is looking like freakin playdo! Crap

All info appreciated.
Cheerio Chris

Most likely this is because the object has a Normal Tag assigned to it. Delete that, and the Phong tag settings will work again

JoelOtron
08-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Try importing your objs with riptide.
It will bring the normals in.

http://skinprops.com/riptide.php

Not sure if the phong tag will have any effect--but you may get better results.

Kanga
09-01-2007, 03:18 AM
JoelD
Thanx man,... it didn't work but appreciate the advice:)

moka.studio
Thanx that worked just fine. You saved my butt!:)

Cheerio Chris

JoelOtron
09-01-2007, 03:18 AM
Hey--at least I kept you busy till moka posted a good answer. :)

Keith Young
09-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Riptide should not proclude getting the same results. If the Normals Tag was the culprit, then you can 'disable' that option on the Import dialog and it won't load them.

Riptide also creates a 'generic' phong/smoothing tag, which you'd have to either delete, or select it and just put what angle values you want in there.

Kanga
09-09-2007, 11:18 AM
JoelD
Thanx mate,... it kept me so busy I had no time to complain:thumbsup:.

Keith Young
Thanx Kieth. Had riptide installed for the multiple maps thing when working with zb.

Thanx chaps
Chris

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2007, 11:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.