PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Raytracing around the corner...

Srek
08-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Looks similar to what University of Saarbrücken (Prof. Slousaleck and his team) does for some years now, only that they moved from FPGAs to standard PC hardware. To the best of my knowledge the real time rendering libraries announced by Intel are connected to that project too.
Cheers
Björn

~daniela~
08-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Looks like interactive raytracing is just around the corner...

Have a look at the videos ...

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/irt

Cheers

Szos
09-01-2007, 04:06 AM
Not impressed. Not that the technology isn't cool and all - cuz it definitely is - but not impressed simply by the fact that it is going to take forever to see thsi technology in 3D Digital Content Creation programs... instead, we will have raytraced realtime games running on next-next-gen consoles (+/-$300), but to actually be able to get this technology into the hands of the people that create the content is never going to happen - there is always one excuse or another as to why that is too. (OK, maybe it will eventually happen, but sick and tired of DCC software companies dragging their feet on this - even if real time raytraced reflections/refractions aren't ready for primetime, realtime non-raytraced tech should be)

CaptainObvious
09-01-2007, 05:47 AM
Interactive ray tracing? You mean like FPrime? ;)

Stevemoh
09-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Wheres my realtime GI.

cresshead
09-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Wheres my realtime GI.

er...Fprime...that's where!
http://www.worley.com/E/Products/fprime/fprime.html

also rendition for maya and soon 3dsmax plus xsi
http://www.holomatix.com/products/rendition/rendition_ipr/

FreakWizz
09-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Yes, FPrime has been doing progreesive refinement and interactive raytracing for many years.

The next step would be iteritive progressive refinement...

Where only the rays that affect another element in the scene need to be re-rendered...
In FPrime currently, every change makes an update.

In the future, if i change a Red sphere to a Green sphere, then only the rays that effect other objects in the scene should be rerendererd if they are needed too.
This will happen eventually..... :)

The Brute force method being used currentlly will be selective and adaptive..... ;)

ViCoX
09-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Yes, FPrime has been doing progreesive refinement and interactive raytracing for many years.

The next step would be iteritive progressive refinement...

Where only the rays that affect another element in the scene need to be re-rendered...

In the future, if i change a Red sphere to a Green sphere, then only the rays that effect other objects in the scene should be rerendererd if they are needed too.
This will happen eventually..... :)

The Brute force method being used currentlly will be selective and adaptive.....
I think modo already does this..

UrbanFuturistic
09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Y'all need to look up the definition of realtime. fPrime is fast, but unless it's recently developed the ability to raytrace full-resolution with no further need to iterate or refine within one tenth of a second, it doesn't do realtime.

nemoo
09-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Y'all need to look up the definition of realtime. fPrime is fast, but unless it's recently developed the ability to raytrace full-resolution with no further need to iterate or refine within one tenth of a second, it doesn't do realtime.

and this thread is about interactive raytracing, not realtime raytracing!

fprime looks amazing, i hope somebody comes out with something similar for 3dsmax soon

UrbanFuturistic
09-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Wheres my realtime GI.er...Fprime...that's where!A demonstration model is provided, allowing users to animate in real time a three-dimensional, high-definition model using the tool.(emphasis added)

So in this context, when talking about interactive realtime applications, this thread is about realtime raytracing.

CaptainObvious
09-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Actually, that is not the case. If you, for example, tweak a light in FPrime, it can actually re-render only that light progressively and keep everything else as it was. It doesn't always work, though. I'm guessing GI, for example, disables it.

Anyway, as for "real-time," keep in mind the hardware requirements for this thing. According to the PDF, one blade can render a sample scene at 720p at 10 frames per second with no multi-sampling and just ray tracing, and at 4 frames per second for the ambient occlusion pass. This is when rendering to memory or a file, by the way; it's not being displayed. One can assume that since it can render the ray tracing pass at 10 fps and the ambient occlusion pass at 4 fps, it should be able to spend 75 % of its resources on the ambient occlusion pass and 25 % on the ray tracing pass for a grand total of slightly less than three frames per second. Keep in mind, also, that these blades have two Cells in them, for a total of 16 SPEs.

I can guarantee you that if I was able to spread out FPrime on $40,000 worth of blades (the QS20 starts at around $19,000), it'd be pretty danged fast. See, that was this is really about: It's not about fast ray tracing, as such, it's about spreading out rendering on multiple machines. So don't expect to see real-time ray tracing on workstations or gaming consoles any time soon!

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2007, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.