PDA

View Full Version : How do you find the ao_distance in mia_material?

pixelweave
08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to optimize an interior scene that uses the mia_material quite heavily. Under the Ambient Occlusion section of mia_material, there's a field for Distance. From reading the documentation, I now know that decreasing the distance can reduce render times. This leads me to wonder if there is a way to use something like the Distance Tool to "measure" an optimized value. Any suggestions, or alternate ways of finding the best radius would be appreciated.

From the documentation: The ao_distance parameter defines the radius within which occluding objects are found. Smaller values restrict the AO effect only to small crevices but are much faster to render.

Thanks!

cpan
08-30-2007, 08:14 PM
that just controls the 'dirt' spread around the corners...
just tweak it until you get the desired dirt effect,
and yep, smaller dirt spread leads to faster rendertimes,
but that's not an optimisation if you know what i mean...:)

pixelweave
08-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I understand your way of looking at it as a spread. I'm viewing the radius/distance, as a value to the object(s) that would create the occlusion. If you had some visual indicator to the "occluders", then wouldn't you know this figure better?

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2007, 10:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.