PDA

View Full Version : Can't find UV maps I made in modo once inside XSI.

PerfectLine
08-30-2007, 03:37 AM
Hello, I made a fish model in modo and assigned the UV co-ordinates/maps in modo.

When I apply any image to the material on the fish I can't seem to find any place to specify XSI to use my UV map made in modo. It seems like the properties only allow me to make a new one in XSI.

In modo or Lightwave I specify a name for a particular UV assignment and then when I try to wrap that image on the object using the UV's there is usually a list of projections like planar, cubic, cylider, a few others and then UV.

When I select UV projection a new list comes up showing me which UV map I want to choose to apply the image to. In XSI I can't seem to find that list. When I go to the UV projection (in properties) it seems to offer me the same old regular projection methods, which I don't want. I want to use the pelted layout of my fish I already made called "fishUV"

I simply want to open my fish in XSI. Go the fish material/shader. Apply an Image, pick the fish painted image,
then tell the image to be projected using UV mapping using the "fishUV" I made already.

Sorry that this is such a noob question but all the info I am finding is about creating a new UV map from scratch which I do not want. It takes two seconds in LW and Modo. I know it must be that simple in XSI. Even the zbrush to XSI tuts only showed an XSI made UV as opposed to using a UV made outside of XSI.

Thanks. :D

mocaw
08-30-2007, 04:59 AM
READ THE MANUAL my friend! I know you guys at edenFX are over flowing with talent and experience, but be sure to check out the newcomers sticky thread too. It's chalked full of useful and clarifying info. You're jumping in feet first, guns blazing on a friendly BUT much more complex program than LW IMHO. Rome wasn't built in one day- and most likely your basic understanding of XSI will not either! :)

Other than that, what you're doing IS creating a new map each time because you're most likely going get->properties->texture projection (or map) and then selecting the "one you want". Nothing broken or wrong here!

If you want to see your UV you made somewhere else (pending it DID make it over), then try selecting the object and pressing alt-7 which will bring up the UV editor. If you have multiple UVs assigned to the object then you might need to use the UV drop down and select it to see it.

Next stop would be the render tree. Press 7 and put an image node into the diffuse slot. double click on the image node- and then go to the Texture Projection area and use the drop down to find the UV you want to use.

You can also find your UVs by using the explorer (8 key) under your mesh or objects cluster set(s). Select the one you want and press alt-7 (UV editor).

PerfectLine
08-30-2007, 06:07 AM
READ THE MANUAL my friend! I know you guys at edenFX are over flowing with talent and experience,

I'm talented enough to ask questions on a forum.

Well, I did all the things you had suggested before I made the post but maybe I am looking in the wrong place still or the UV isn't making it over to XSI in the OBJ file.

Is this where I was supposed to look?

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5464/fishzsg4.jpg

Thanks for the help mocaw.

mocaw
08-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Odd...can you see the objs UVs in Zbrush/mudbox/lw etc.? They must not be making it over. Did you look in the clusters of the mesh too?

Maybe try and see if they do open somewhere else- THEN re-save that and bring it over to XSI to single out MODO?

If you still have problems then maybe you could upload just a simple obj UV'ed in Modo for us to peruse?

fozz
08-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Try adding an texture in LW/MODO that use the UV's before exporting. At least that's what I had to do when exporting Obj's from LW. If the UV's wern't used, they wern't exported. If that don't work, try importing the LWO file instead. Belive it's a good thing to make sure all the UV's and surface names don't have any spaces in them first, as XSI don't seem to like that.

toonafish
08-30-2007, 07:59 AM
I had the same problem exporting objects with UV's from Modo. Seems in Modo you have to select the UV map you want to export with the Obj in the Vertex Map List. Otherwise try LWO, though I noticed PointOven likes to crash XSI a lot while importing LWO's.

yog
08-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I use Point Oven to transfer LWO's in and out of Modo all the time with little trouble.
It is important however to make sure the mesh is XSI compatable first, which is ususally just a case of checking Modo for 1 and 2 point polygons, as neither exists in XSI, and either will crash the transfer.
Also as an old "Waver", I always make sure I transfer objects with a texture applied to the UV I want to keep. I'm not actually sure if Modo or XSI requires it, but old habits die hard ;)

PerfectLine - From what you describe in your first post you are actually creating new UV maps instead of picking your already made UV.
To check if your UV has transfered, go to your XSI Explorer window and navigate down to the Polymesh entry for your imported object, under which will be another sub-catagory called Clusters, and under that will be another entry called someting like "Layer_0_UVMaps". If this isn't here, then your UV map hasn't transfered, and something is wrong.

Another potential "gotcha", is that XSI will automatically apply a default scene material to an imported object, which in the Explorer will appear under the objects name, and it is the one that XSI will automatically pick if you select an object and then go to the Render Tree. HOWEVER, if a material has been applied to the object in the host app, it will have a second material applied, buried further under the Explorer tree. It can be found under the Clusters section and will appear as an orange and blue box. The problem is that this material will override any other material that is applied to the object, which maybe why your UV mapped texture isn't showing up.
Whilst you can make all your material assignments to this cluster material, you may instead decide to delete it (but not delete your UV clusters), and apply a new material to the whole object.

Felipe
08-30-2007, 05:07 PM
I export models from MODO with UV maps using dotxsiexport plugin for Modo. You can find it here:

http://www.vertexmonkey.com/general_scripts_IO.php

Texture projections in XSI is very straight forward but it's not the same workflow than Modo or LW.
If your object was imported correctly you should see your UV maps available under - object -> polygon mesh -> "clusters" on the XSI explorer window.

Cheers,
Felipe

PerfectLine
09-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the link Felipe!

Very useful. :D

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2007, 09:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.