PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up polygons/mesh as in Lightwave

lschena
08-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Hello,
Does anyone know how one would clean up polys on a model? Some polys are stars or triangles and in Lightwave, there is a function in which you can select 2 or more polys and either merge them or rotate them which then cleans up the mesh. Is there a way to do these functions in XSI 6.2? How can I make a cleaner mesh? I tried using the quadrangulate option but cannot seem to figure out how it works and if this the method I should use?

Thanks in advance.

mocaw
08-30-2007, 02:37 AM
Let me jump in and say this as an ex waver before an old softimage user jumps down your throat- READ THE MANUAL.

Second- XSI aint LW, so somethings are WAY better...others not so.

When you say clean up a mesh, do you mean like QMM/reduce polygons plus or do you mean something a bit more manual in nature where you can select an edge on two adjacent triangles and merge them?

XSI has tools for each- the later is often as simple as selecting the edge, right clicking and choosing "dissolve and clean adj. (adjacent) vertices". You'll find several other tools close at hand that will help you as well.

There are also the polygon filtering tools, and the "Polygon Reduction Tool" which is powerful...but I think part of ess. (might be wrong on that).

dwigfor
08-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I think Helge may have written a "spin quad" script. www.mindthink.de (http://www.mindthink.de) - must register for free

yog
08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
For merging two polygons, just select the dividing edge and hit Delete.
Working with real edges takes a change of thinking, but it soon becomes second nature. ;)

As for SpinQuad, the script Dwigfor mention works well.

lschena
08-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the tips, but I have not been able to find the spin quads script on mindthink. I only see a list of about 30 things and I do not see what you mentioned. I wish to find ways to clean my mesh as in even in some cases, my quads are triangulated as shown below. Any tips on how to clean up the mesh would be appreciated. If I select edges and delete that just makes a great big polygon. What I am hoping for is clean up what's there, the best way for this I thought would be to use something like spin quads.
This model pictured is just experimental so it doesn't matter, perhaps I added to many edges and polys. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
lschena

CiaranM
08-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Can't see your image...

Sbowling
08-31-2007, 02:11 AM
To clean up triangles try using modify> poly.mesh> Quadrangulate. I'm not completely sure if this is in Foundation.

Thanks for the tips, but I have not been able to find the spin quads script on mindthink. I only see a list of about 30 things and I do not see what you mentioned. I wish to find ways to clean my mesh as in even in some cases, my quads are triangulated as shown below. Any tips on how to clean up the mesh would be appreciated. If I select edges and delete that just makes a great big polygon. What I am hoping for is clean up what's there, the best way for this I thought would be to use something like spin quads.
This model pictured is just experimental so it doesn't matter, perhaps I added to many edges and polys. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
lschena

lschena
08-31-2007, 03:34 AM
sorry, here is the image I am inquiring about. I have essentials and tried the quadrangulate option but could not get it to work.

lschena
08-31-2007, 03:54 AM
this is the whole mesh - it is 1768 polys.

Sbowling
09-01-2007, 04:45 AM
sorry, here is the image I am inquiring about. I have essentials and tried the quadrangulate option but could not get it to work.

Ok, seeing the model, there's no need to run quadrangulate on it (It's only really usefully for turning triangles into quads). It looks like you are just wanting to clean up the bad edge loops, etc. Correct? I would simply delete the offending edge (using the delete key), then just add in another edge using the \ key. I've never found any real use for the spin quad tool since moving to XSI, since I have actual edges to work with. If this isn't the answer you are looking for, I guess I'm still not understanding the question.

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2007, 04:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.