PDA

View Full Version : Industry standard for hourly wage of 3d work?

iBlue
04-02-2003, 03:22 AM
I am about to sign a contract to build a fairly complex 3d model which would take me at least 2 weeks of dedicated work to finish (6 hours a day) and i am charging $30 an hour for this work, but am i under cutting the industry standard here or am i over shooting it? I have not done "3D" for contracts before so i am not even to sure of what i should be charging.

Whats the standard hourly wage for modeling, texturing, rigging and animating a character today? (all 1 job mind you)

:bounce:

JIII
04-02-2003, 04:14 AM
The basic formula that I have seen is

take what you need to live on per week 52. assume that you only work half the time so multiply that by two. that should be your hourly wage if you divide it out into hours from weeks.

and don't under charge yourself.

ya gotta eat.

chadlychoo
04-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Maybe this will help...
http://www.lightwaveoz.org/BrainFood/Articles/freelance101.htm

ssalo
04-02-2003, 07:16 AM
I finished my first 3d pay job a week ago and it took me about 4 hours a day within two weeks ( I have a separate day job ) and I charged them 2000 euros. The task was to model, texture and render relative simple character but with few technical diffucultities and pose it with twelve different poses (for print ads for starter and maybe later for TV).

The client was relative big ad-agency in my region and first they were little shocked about price but after negotiation they accepted it. Later I heard it was still cheaper than building traditional miniature model. Damn, I wish I have charged them a bit more.....;)

My point is you have to make them understand what they I actually ordering and paying for (far more easier and faster to animate and do things than with traditional miniatures) and make absolutely sure your price is in same level as you skillls.

-Sami

beaker
04-02-2003, 05:37 PM
what country? what industry? where in the country? What is your skill level(how much experience do you have)? What have you worked on before? All these factors can totally change the answer. There really is no standard for everything everywhere.

mushroomgod
04-02-2003, 06:33 PM
what country? what industry? where in the country? What is your skill level(how much experience do you have)? What have you worked on before? All these factors can totally change the answer. There really is no standard for everything everywhere.

to add to that.....whos the client?? if its a big company then you can get away with charging more than you can if its for a small company

Signal2Noise
04-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Ask for lots of money so you can keep a steady supply of 'shrooms coming in! :surprised

iBlue
04-02-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by beaker

USA
Unknown
East Coast
Advanced (8 years)
3 video games and various other projects.

And this seems like a lone contractor who wants the model for his website. I'm not questioning him for the validity of such a massively expensive contract for a website though, id rather have the money then worry why he wants it.

I am about to quote him $2600 for 84 hours of work. ($30 an hour)

:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.