PDA

View Full Version : renderman 2 for maya and shave and haircut. help needed please!

yondon
08-28-2007, 05:46 PM
hello people,
I'm really new to Renderman.
I'm working with maya 8.5 on windows xp 32, using trial version of renderman 2 for maya and shave and haircut.

I cannot render shave and haircut hairs using the renderman plugin.

1.Is it even possible? or do i have to use the renderman artist tools (standslone)?
2. If it possible can you guys guide me how to do it?

I keep reading so many threads reagrding this subject, all of them talking about ribs and scripts and things I dont really understand and I did try so many things with no luck for now..

so i'll be very happy if someone will answer any of my questions.
most importent just let me know if its possible at all and if there any solution (maybe render everything in RM and render the hair in a separate pass in maya software or mr)

thank you very much!

meshman
08-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Its not possible with renderman for maya 2.0. you need either RAT or the new renderman studio for that... I just tested Shave with the studio version....

jude3d
08-30-2007, 08:52 AM
shave is not really easy to render for newbies in renderman, you need to understand the shave rib generation tool with shave and add to your command line to automate the process of generating hairs in renderman. you also need your custom shader for a better result than with standard shave one. and of course as he said it's only available with renderman studio and RAT, but I know digital tutor did a tutorial at the siggraph this year about shave and renderman studio maybe they could share this one on their website to explain the process.

Rfm could only handle maya hair and fur ...

meshman
08-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Yes with the new shave and renderman studio it works more smooth . I have not tried it with the old rat but in renderman studio it just works...

shave is not really easy to render for newbies in renderman, you need to understand the shave rib generation tool with shave and add to your command line to automate the process of generating hairs in renderman. you also need your custom shader for a better result than with standard shave one. and of course as he said it's only available with renderman studio and RAT, but I know digital tutor did a tutorial at the siggraph this year about shave and renderman studio maybe they could share this one on their website to explain the process.

Rfm could only handle maya hair and fur ...

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2007, 09:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.