PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating Particles, another question

rotanadan
08-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Ok, a couple weeks back I asked in the main forum how I could make a "vibrating" particle. the answer worked well, I Shape Instance'd a sphere with Xform modifier, the gizmo of Xform then had noise position, worked great. Untill My Pflow started getting a little complex, Find Target, Lock/Bonds etc, and my system started getting REALLY slow on the updates. I started messing with my pflow to speed it up and found it was the instanced spheres, when i switched the Shape Instance to Shape Plus spheres, everything sped WAY up (8 minute render time to 6 seconds). So my question is, is there a better way to do vibration, that does not use Shape Instancing.

Thanks

OlegB
08-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Scripting or Data Operators from Box#3.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

rotanadan
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Just got Box 1 for Lock/Bond, dont have the extra funds to get Box 3 yet, anywhere you could point me to read up on getting a particle to vibrate using script?

BrandonD
08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Pardon me for thinking in Houdini expression language here, but with a Script Operator you should be able to do a sin function on one of the position axes. Something like this:

pos.x = sin((current_frame * 5) * 10)

The first multiple will control the frequency of the waveform and the second one the amplitude. This should be an easy way to get vibrating particles.

rotanadan
08-30-2007, 03:10 AM
Bobo in the script forum gave me an excellent solution, the issue now is network rendering scripted particles, I jsut bought Cache from orbaz but am trying to get a download, cant wait for shipping.

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2007, 03:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.