PDA

View Full Version : 2d or 3d motion blur

royter
08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
i have a scene where i have a still environment where nothing is moving but the a shaky camera imitating a handeled camera:

i want to apply motion blur but will the 3D motion blur be more accurate than the 2D even if nothing is moving?
or is it waste of time using 3D motion blur since nothing is moving and because 2D is way to faster?

gga
08-28-2007, 09:00 AM
i want to apply motion blur but will the 3D motion blur be more accurate than the 2D even if nothing is moving?

3D motion blur will be more accurate. If you have any objects behind others, 2D motion blur will not render the occlusion properly as your camera changes its viewpoint. If you have objects passing very close to the camera, while others are far, the problem will become very obvious.

or is it waste of time using 3D motion blur since nothing is moving and because 2D is way to faster?

That's something only you can answer.

HellstormDe
08-28-2007, 09:07 AM
The easiest way to find out what you need is still the trial and error method:

render both types of mb at a low resolution with low sampling values and decide what you need by comparing the results.
However, if you don't want to render an animation sequence I guess you can use 3d mb most of the time as rendertime isn't too critical.

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2007, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.