PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on how to draw humans

Sketcher
04-08-2002, 09:16 PM
I've never really appreciated anime styles of humans b/c of the large eyes so i prefer to stay away from that kind of art. However, I was hoping that if any one who knows how to draw human beings in a more realistic way please respond with some tips. My main trouble is the face. (Steps or visual help would be appreciated)

Sketcher

:confused:

staglider2
04-09-2002, 01:47 AM
1) Go buy a book on proportions and anatomy
2) study and copy old masters, they are an incredible source for developping your skills. Study and copy draw the works made by Leonardo Davinci, Carravagio, Frans Hals, Velasquez, Michelangelo.

Briareos
04-09-2002, 01:56 AM
ditto, and take a lifedrawing class.

staglider2
04-09-2002, 04:02 AM
yep ! Ofcourse even better is Nature herself. But the old masters are *damn* close ;-)

balistic
04-09-2002, 04:39 AM
http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm

That's probably the most flexible method to use for getting facial proportions correct. Taking a portraiture or life drawing course would be a big help as well.

Sangotten
04-09-2002, 04:08 PM
May I say that manga/anime is based on studies of the human body! The only way to draw good manga/anime is to be able to draw real life human and then try make the characters look more abstract.... If you can't draw a real human you can't draw real manga/anime...;)

But anyway try looking at people on the street and remember what makes them look that way, try to learn expressions and poses... Buy a book a on human anatomy, I really helps to just copy some stuff from it, just to get the feeling of it!:wip:

Good luck!

Sketcher
04-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Alrighty, thanks for your suggestions. I'll see what i can do.:cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.