PDA

View Full Version : Spline tools?

mortlock
04-01-2003, 03:18 PM
I'm having trouble finding anything that I would consider basic spline functionality. For instance, splitting splines at a point, at a portion of the length along the spline (think bandsaw on splines), etc.

Am I missing something obvious, do these tools only exist as a plugin/LScript combo, or are they not out there at all?

I realize LW is a poly modeller, but it's far easier to draw continuous sweeping curves in splines than with polys, at least in my case. I'm not looking for Rhino type control (although in a perfect world..), but I don't think things like splitting a spline at an arbitrary percentage along it's path should be too hard.

Anyone who can point me in the direction of something similar? I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

faulknermano
04-01-2003, 03:24 PM
http://thespread.topcities.com/SplitPolygonsI.zip

i dont recall if SplitPolygons(i) will split a spline on a point.. if not, just email me and i'll recompile the one i have over here.

CreatePointsInBetweenPolys will create one inbetween point between a selection of two points.

yog
04-01-2003, 03:27 PM
The Split Polygon tool that ships with LW will split a spline at an existing point, but some 3rd party poly split tools like Super-Split (great tool) wont.

Aquaman
04-01-2003, 03:32 PM
You can split splines in the followiing manner: Select the spline that you want to split with the polygon selection tool then switch to point selection and select the point where you want to split the spline then select the split command under the construct tab or by pressing "ctrl+L". If the point is on a smooth portion of a curve and the curve become sharp after the split command you can select the smooth command from the detail tab or by pressing "ctrl+S" and that will give you a smooth curvature again.

mortlock
04-01-2003, 04:38 PM
I'll try these out when I get a chance to play around with LW tonight.

I tried to RTFM, but.. well, let's say the manual seems rather poly oriented. :)

davx
04-01-2003, 09:40 PM
You should try this

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/pathcut/pathcut.zip

it's all that you want !!

evenflcw
04-02-2003, 03:48 AM
OH MAN! That is so sweet! I started panting heavily from the exitement whem I saw what it could do and how easy it was to work with. The nightmares I've been having about working splines are over! Thanks alot DavX for telling us about that one.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.