PDA

View Full Version : Osx

binder3d
04-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Has any connected a Mac running OSX with a PC running XP Pro?
Thanks
:thumbsup:

alfiebabes
04-01-2003, 03:26 PM
we've got a network running here with G4's and PC's. Most of the G4's are running OSX and some of the PC's are running XP Pro.

Why do you ask?

If there's an issue - we have re-installed XP Pro on most of our home use PC's as the vendors just shoved it on and stability was terrible.

Still curious to see where you're headed...

binder3d
04-01-2003, 04:19 PM
I just installed OSX on my Mac and Have a PC with XP and want both to read each other. Pretty simple! >:

alfiebabes
04-01-2003, 04:30 PM
don't really want to sound sarcastic but how does this relate to Animation Master?
Or are you setting up an AM render farm?

binder3d
04-01-2003, 06:45 PM
My bad yes I am. I figure the only way to do any animation is with netrender to speed along the process. Sorry I didnt post that before!

pequod
04-02-2003, 01:08 AM
I've just built a PC to take the brunt of the rendering duties while I carry on animating with the Mac. I've also had the bright idea of connecting the two machines to take advantage of the netrender. I've found OSX's (jaguar) 'Windows File Sharing' is a doddle to setup and swap files back and forth between the two platforms. Although, for some odd reason I haven't quite figured out, some folders and files on the PC refuse to be shared.
I haven't actually got round to using AM in 'Classic' mode to netrender, but I imagine it won't be too stable. I'm pinning my hopes on the OSX version of AM for that job, whenever it is finally released:drool:

binder3d
04-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Pequod-any chance you can share your technique in having the Mac and PC talk to each other? Please!
:applause:

pequod
04-02-2003, 11:14 AM
I tell you what I know so far, but I ain't no network expert.
As you have XP, on the PC run the Network Wizard and choose the type of connection you want, in my case a simple crossover ethernet cable and give your computer a name e.g PC1.
Then go to any folder you want to share files, e.g 'My Documents', view it's properties, go to the sharing tab part of it and check the two boxes to 'share this folder on the network'.

On the Mac, click 'System Preferences' in the Dock, go to sharing, give the computer a name e.g Mac1 and click on 'Windows File Sharing'.
Back to the desktop, from the Finder's menu select 'Go' and 'Connect to Server.' You should see your PC's computer name or something like MSHOME or WORKGROUP. Click on the name and a dialog box will appear asking you to type in a password. I haven't bother with any passwords, so I just press enter. Then another box pops up asking you to select which folder on the PC you want to share, i.e. 'My Documents'. If all goes well, the icon for the window's folder appears on your desktop and you are ready to grab from or deposit files onto the PC from the Mac.
If you want to do that from the PC, you have to give the PC an account on you Mac in the 'Accounts' section of 'System Preferences' using the PC's computer name and checking the box that allows 'User to log in from Windows'. On the PC you should see in 'My Network Places' your Mac's icon called 'Samba'. Double click that, type in the PC's computer name e.g PC1 and the Mac's Home folder should appear.
I've changed my IP addresses to manual, i.e I've given the Mac a TCP IP address of 192.168.0.1 and the PC 192.168.0.2, this should avoid any internet/ethernet confusion.
Well, that's as far as I've got and like I mentioned earlier, sometimes on a few files I'm denied access privileges!:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.