PDA

View Full Version : Z Information With Alpha Transparency

BlasT
08-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi.
Maybe it's a little bit dumb question, but anyway .

I have a large plane with a lot of plants, which are because of large number, mapped to planes with alpha channel, basicaly could be also grass. If I render the Z straight out I don't get the transparency, but just Z info for whole planes. Is out there already shader or a shading network that obeys to transparency and outputs the right Z depth?

Thanks

Simon

BlasT
08-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Yes..... I forgot before. I found the zDepthDOF shader for MR but it's version 1.6 (for till maya 7.0) and I can't convince it to render in maya 8.5. Is there any newer version of the shader or it should be working and I'm just doing something wrong. Anyway when I try to render I get
API 0.0 error 301031: call to undeclared function "zDepthDOF"
API 0.0 error 301036: undefined shader "zDepthDOF1"

Help please, I'm a little bit in a hurry.

Simon

mr Bob
08-26-2007, 11:47 PM
The shader works fine.Forget there instructions.

Creat a surface shader
Create you z depth node
Select the shading group , select the Mental ray custom shaders tab, drag the z depth node onto the flag of the Material shader.

It will work then with no errors

It does begger belief you cannot do a MR zdepth pass out of the box with Maya after all we are upto version 8.5.

B

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2007, 11:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.