PDA

View Full Version : Question about Flipping Models

SebastianB
08-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi there...
I'm a complete ignorant about modeling in Maya. I suspect this is a simple question for you guys.
I have a model (Skeleton and Skin) animated with deformers and set driven keys...
I need to duplicated it, with a flip or mirror and all my tries went wrong.
(Duplicate special rotate it in the wrong way, and mirror effects went without the set driven keys information)
I tried to re-ubicate the pivots of all parts and to make a general duplication in order to just rotate it, but didn't work.
Is there any general method which i can easly apply to do that?
Thanks for any answer....

rich8606
08-26-2007, 07:19 AM
EDIT: Hold on, you rigged this half finished model already?? This instruction only works RIGHT if you haven't rigged your model. Save your scene first beforew trying it

Duplicate it with transform put -1 in scale X. afterwards, do delete by type>history. careful if you have any deformer applied, cuz it's connection will be deleted as well.
Also If you delete history on a flipped object (minus value in scaleX, Y or Z), maya will give you a warning taht it reversed the normal, to reverse it back, do Normals>Reverse.

hibigibees
08-29-2007, 01:24 PM
this is almost similar to what rich said but in steps:
1. backup ur scene (export skin weights for LHS )
2. dup model on RHS - using poly mirror - if not done already ( and sew/weld verts, cleanup model etc)
3. now, export sdk through some script (get it from highend3d) - or u can write it if you know scripting
4. mirror joints (ex: by selecting thigh, clavical etc)
5. now put a default skin the same max infl limit as in old file
6. import skin weights and mirror skin weights (if it does not work properly, ref ur org file and perform copy skin weights )
7. import sdk into this file and mirror sdk if you have the script
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/animation/3881.html
i have never used the above tool but i just googled it for u...
8. now ck out deformations and other stuff, if u have already done blendshapes for the LHS and want to create shapes for RHS - then use absSym script to do it... (google it)

there are so many known and unknown issues by duplicating joints to other side with negative scale when used in animation ( i m not 100% sure of most of the issues )

when transferring skin weights u might have some issues, try to hold rhs and then get lhs first and mirror them on rhs...

reg, sriram

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2007, 01:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.