PDA

View Full Version : Vue crash when trying to Export

ciff
08-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Seriously stressed out.
Got work to buy Vue 6 xstream as we need to a fair few plants and trees etc into a Maya scene of a photoreal house, have not got any time to muck about and i have wasted a day sofar trying to get a single cherry tree exported out of vue, to place in my Maya Scene. 3Ds takes forever, then crashes, and obj crashes too, whats going on? really not impressed with the software so far, has anyone had these problems before? can anyone help me with this? cheers, chris

fingers10
08-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure, but you might try right clicking on your tree and choosing "bake to polygons"...then double click on the tree in the object manager, and choosing "split materials" in the mesh info section before exporting out of Vue. This will split your object polys by materials. You'll have to save your texture maps also.

Maybe this will fix ya up...

Mike

mwalter1
08-25-2007, 09:36 PM
1. Make sure you have the latest beta patch.

2. Double-click the plant and use the export button on that screen. BUT, don't click on generate color maps - that will crash Vue. E-on knows about the problem and will fix it soon. Just double-click on the leaf editor and hover your mouse over the picture of the leaf. That will show the path of where it is saved on your computer. Just copy that over for use with Maya.

ciff
08-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi guys,
Both of you, thank you, been a great help. Only issue i'm having at the mo is that the exporting without colourmaps option is giving me the geometry that i want, but it doesn't seem to create any UV's with it, am i missing an option? the uv's work with baking the pollys and then exporting, but that way seems v slow and mesh come out very low. Cheers :)

Mike.H
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
you can edit your vue tree by doubleclicking on your tree and then increase the number of polys by hitting the x2 button in the tree editor as many times as you feel is propriate.

then go ahead and export the tree like fingers and mwalter has suggested, should give you a higher polycount mesh to play with in maya

cheers

ciff
08-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Hi mike, thanks, still getting low gemoetry when exporting a baked polly object, no matter how hi rez i set it in vue. Main issue at the moment tho, and i could really do with some help on this, is why when exporting the tree (not including the colour map, so as not to crash vue) the textures, alpha, bump etc, seem to have no uv's, the leaves / bark etc seem to load the texture all over the place, i'm amazed how bad this software is at exporting geometry, not happy at all. any ideas how to get uv mapped trees / plants etc exported with the uv's intact would be really helpful, thanks people. Chris.

kevnich00
08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I use Max, so this may not apply, but...

The workflow with Max/xStream doesn't require any actual exporting or importing from one software to the other. You work in both packages at once and the results are in you Max window.
My workflow is something like this:
Open a scene in Max (new or exixting)
Go to the Utilities Tab and start the xStream plugin
Either create a new scene or load an existing scene
If I want to edit the Vue entities I hit the Load Interface button
I then do what i need to do in Vue
hit the File>hide interface command (in Vue), which loads the Vue data into Max
(Max needs to be in OpenGL mode to see the view data)
I can then work in Max for the modeling and render in Max (mental ray).

According to the e-on site, it appears that this is the common workflow for the xStream plug-in, but having no experience with other packages it's only a guess...

ciff
08-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi Kev,
I was trying to avoid using the x stream connection for this stage of the project, thinking it would take too much time to get it working with the scene.
Had a go, just opened the scene, loaded the maya vue shelf, loaded in a vue scene, set it as classic day, and tried a render with no trees or anything added, just the sky, set mental ray render away, and Maya shuts down instantly, v annoying. Tried a simple maya scene, just a plane and a cube, the same phisical sky lighting stystem thats in the other scene (mental ray phsical sky) same vue sky, and it worked, rendered ok, put a spot light in, still works, put ray traced shadown on the spotlight, bam, shuts down. Need to have ray traced shadows, any ideas why that would kill maya / vue? cheers

kevnich00
08-31-2007, 08:17 PM
I went throught the same steps with Max and had no problems. Do you have the latest build installed? (291551)

Phalse
09-09-2007, 03:14 AM
I too just followed the steps and it worked in Max 9, thank you very much for the help!

I'm sorry that the crash is being caused with Maya. I'm afraid all I can think of is reading about renderers.

See Vue uses Mental Ray.
Max has default renderer and mental ray installed.
Maya has mental ray and PRman? renderers installed.

If you don't have mental ray set in your render settings as the apps default renderer I suppose this could cause a crash.
Also a conflict could be causing a crash because MAX works better than Maya with Mental Ray.
Maya works better than max with PRman, the problem could come from Vue wanting to use Mental Ray.

I'm guessing here so if anyone would like to correct me feel free.

mwalter1
10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
The new patch for Infinite/xStream has fixed the problem with exporting trees with the material selected. Works great now!

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.