PDA

View Full Version : diplacement remark

royter
08-24-2007, 06:36 PM
i just noticed that if i use a diplacement on a poly mesh with an aproximation node
(fine view low quality), you get a lower quality render but if you increase the divisions on the mesh with the same aproximation node (fine view low quality) you get a better result.

is the density of the mesh an important factor when apllying a displacement?
the higher the resolution of the mesh the better the displacement?

Kako
08-24-2007, 07:59 PM
is the density of the mesh an important factor when apllying a displacement?
Yes.
The denser your mesh is, the less mental ray has to subdivide it to meet the criteria specified in the approximation settings.
the higher the resolution of the mesh the better the displacement?
It tends to be this way, but not always it happens. Not if mental ray is able to satisfy the chosen criteria within the max subdivision limits.

i just noticed that if i use a diplacement on a poly mesh with an aproximation node
(fine view low quality), you get a lower quality render but if you increase the divisions on the mesh with the same aproximation node (fine view low quality) you get a better result.
That's the case when mental ray isn't able to satisfy the chosen criteria before reaching the max subdivision limit. More subdivisions are needed. So subdividing your mesh manually contributes to the result. If you raise the max subdivisions limit in this situation, you'll also get a better displacement.

Kako.

royter
08-24-2007, 08:33 PM
thanks Kako,
i tought the 2 things were independent from each other.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2007, 08:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.