PDA

View Full Version : Wii capabilities?

noradninja
08-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi guys. The small studio that I and some friends are starting is targeting Windows, Mac OS X, and the Nintendo Wii with our current project. We are using Unity (http://unity3d.com) as the development platform for our games, and I am curious, is there anyone here that can give me a solid idea of the capabilities of the Nintendo Wii? I am looking for mostly onscreen polycount limitations and texture sizes that are common in Wii games. We plan to initially target for the computer hardware and scale our content down for the Wii, so outside of the above specs, I also need to know if the Wii is capable of the following:

-Render to texture effects (full scene bloom, motion blur, depth of field)
-Stencil shadows
-Pixel based lights
-Normal, specular, and luminance mapping
-Real time reflection and refraction
-Light textures (gobbos)
-Ambient occlusion

Any information on this would help our team greatly. Thanks for your time guys!

imashination
08-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Wouldnt all this be in the wii dev kit? I doubt very much youll find any answers on a public board outside of a wii dev forum.

noradninja
08-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Wouldnt all this be in the wii dev kit? I doubt very much youll find any answers on a public board outside of a wii dev forum.

I would imagine so, but we are not using the Wii dev kit to develop games for the console, we are using a third party dev platform called Unity, which develops games for Mac OS X, Windows XP/Vista, and the Nintendo Wii, and at the moment, the Unity revision (2.0) that supports Wii development is not quite finished, and it is in closed beta, so I cannot find out this info from the testers due to NDA. I was asking here to see if there were any artists that had experience developing content for the Wii that could maybe answer my questions, as I do not have access to a Wii devkit. If anyone knows of a good dev forum for the Wii that I could go to to find this stuff out, I will ask there, as I am having some trouble finding this kind of info.

Babybell
08-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Being able to make youre own wii games seems like an intresting concept. Though for the price of the full version of unity, I am sure that I have seen the wii dev kits are a similar price.

Edit - Damn there isant a PC version of the indie kit.

noradninja
08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Being able to make youre own wii games seems like an intresting concept. Though for the price of the full version of unity, I am sure that I have seen the wii dev kits are a similar price.
It is a great concept, and one our company looks forward to. Outside of the cost of Unity vs. a Wii dev kit, you can't use a Wii kit to make Windows/Mac OS X games, nor are the tools for developing Wii games nearly as user friendly and geared toward rapid prototyping like Unity is.

EDIT- Yeah, Unity is Mac only software. it will compile Windows games, but you need a Mac to run the software.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.