PDA

View Full Version : Layered Shader w\ MIA

drossxyu
08-24-2007, 05:47 AM
Is it possible to layer the MIA material to create more complex materials? I'm familiar with the standard maya layered texture but it doesn't seem like it's suitable for mental ray materials. I'm looking to create a diffuse plastic material with a clear glossy coating much like the preset plastic material that's included with maxwell.

royter
08-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Is it possible to layer the MIA material to create more complex materials? I'm familiar with the standard maya layered texture but it doesn't seem like it's suitable for mental ray materials. I'm looking to create a diffuse plastic material with a clear glossy coating much like the preset plastic material that's included with maxwell.

as you said there is no layered shader optimised for MR shaders.
autodesk relies on other people to do the job for them. You can try the mix8layer shader but it's bugy with the mia_material.

Kako
08-24-2007, 06:05 AM
You can use the mix8layer shader.
http://www.mymentalray.com/mymr_shaders/shaders.htm

Kako.

edit: haha Sorry royterr! And I didn't know it was buggy with the mia_material. Gonna make some tests.

djx
08-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I have used mia with mix8layer and bumpCombiner quite extensively and have not encountered any bugs. I always use mix8layers instead of the maya layered shader.

By the way, you may not realise that even though you cant drag-n-drop mentalray shaders into maya's layered shader, you can still hook them up using the connection editor.

-- David

chronic
08-24-2007, 05:21 PM
even easier than using a layered shader such as mayas or mix8layer is this:
make your base material,
make the top gloss material by adjusting the specular etc the way you want but make the color and diffuse 0 so the spec sits on a black shader
then you can use an plus-minus-average node in 'sum' mode to combine the two shaders, where the top shader is black it will not contribute to the addition
output the plus-minus-average node to a surface shader or the incandesence of a lambert with diffuse and color set to 0 (i like the later, i hate surface shaders) the output shader looks funny in the hypersahde and will probably show up funny or all black in the viewport but it renders fine
think of the network as a photoshop laying operation

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2007, 05:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.