PDA

View Full Version : hip balance toggle

Gemini
03-31-2003, 10:31 PM
hey all, i was playing with an expression to always keep the hips inbetween the the feet(i.e. character is always in balance.

everything works fine except for the toggle attribute i have. when i switch the balance attribute off, i can't move the hips at all because the translate X and Translate Z are locked by the original expression that should be off. is there a way to unlock these attributes when i have the toggle off?. thanks

sedric
03-31-2003, 11:25 PM
you need to create a transform node that can be the parent of the hips. then apply the expression to that...

i have a similar setup, but i needed to group my hip controller to itself, then apply the expression to the group node. that way, the expression still controled the position of the hips, but i could still select and animate the hip controler.

hope that helps,

sedric

Gemini
04-01-2003, 02:48 PM
well, i didn't have any success with that. when i applied the expression to the group node, i still had no control over the translates. but if i group the root to itself twice, and apply the expression to the first group node, the hip balance will work correctly, and then i can grab the parent of that anf still use the translates

the only problem with this is that the parent of the first group node will not follow the body as i use the hip balance. i hope this makes sense.

ajk48n
04-03-2003, 07:48 PM
One way to work a soultion is create another attribute on your hip, and call it something like non_balanced_hip_rotation. Then in your original expression, when the toggle box is off, make the hip rotation equal to this new attribute. The only problem with this is you don't have a rotation handle fr rotation the hips, just a slider for the non_balanced_hip_rotation.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.