PDA

View Full Version : Facial Rigging a head separate from the body

fanmap81
08-23-2007, 05:48 AM
i am TRYING to rig a head. I duplicated my character and split the head off the body. Now i put the bones in the head and am going to try to rig it. When it comes to getting it to work with my full character though, how do i make the separate head influence my main body head?

Remi
08-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Stupid double posts.

Remi
08-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Blendshape. But you'll have to make sure the point order is exact. If you seperated your head from the body, this might not work, depending on how you did it.

fanmap81
08-23-2007, 07:04 PM
how should u do it then to ensure that it is correct? i extracted the head faces from the body and deleted the body.

Sagroth
08-24-2007, 03:38 PM
You need to separate a head from a body, kill history, duplicate the head object, then combine separeted pieces selecting head FIRST, and then the body. Merge vertices afterwards. Now you have a separated head and a full body model with the exact same vertex order on the head and can assign separated head as a blendshape with 'check topology' turned off.

When you separate objects, their vertex numbering starts from 0 for each object. When you combine two - second one selected just continues numbering where first one selected ended. That's the trick.

yenvalmar
09-11-2007, 12:07 AM
you can also define the blendshape on your head while its still separate, then without deleting construction history combine meshes and merge the verts, to get the same result :)

the reason i prefer this method, although its less elegant in construction history is that u can fully rig your character with the pieces separate, and still have them as separate meshes with different materials assigned to them, then merge the pieces of the finished rigged char, instead of needing to start the rig with a clean one piece mesh. why is this BETTER you ask, when its such a nasty hack? wellllllll :

because frankly the bigger problem i have is the horrible bugs with maya having multiple materials on one mesh, especially with shader over rides on render layers and since commonly face textures are much more high res than body making it annoying to put it on a single page, and i want different materials for other reasons usually too, i prefer to keep the head and body mesh separate as long as possible in the pipeline in order to keep my shaders from getting royally efFed..

i actually merge and weld the verts only in the final scene i'm gonna render, all my working files i keep em separated like the offspring.

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2007, 12:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.