PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Goalie Rig: Best Setup?

goober35
08-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Hi all, I am currently finishing up my thesis which involves animating two hockey players. While the thisis is almost complete, I have not been entirely satisfied in how I set up the rig. I would like to re-rig the model for my demo real and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to better set everything up. The largest issue is the leg pads. I have been a goalie almost all my life, so I know how I want them to act, but I am still relitively new to 3D and would like to learn if there are better ways to set this up.

Basically, a goalie's pad is initially driven by the legs (but definitly not skinned to the leg) yet once the pad is flush to the ice the pad influences the leg. My current setup has the pads skinned to three joints which are connected to a traditional rig at the knee. I set up 'pad controls' which use set driven keys to twist, rotate, move back and forth, and flex at the knee and foot.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Goobs

Here is an image which may help to explain what I am trying to say:

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2007, 01:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.